Chilaquiles with eggs is a very popular breakfast dish in Mexico, but they can be eaten at any time of day. They are typically made with corn tortillas, fried in oil before the ingredients are added. The main ingredients include eggs and tomatoes, which can also be served separately if desired instead of together. This recipe is a quick one to prepare as it uses pre-cooked corn tortillas from the pantry. The most popular way to eat this dish is for it to be served with a side of guacamole and sour cream.
Chilaquiles with eggs recipe is very simple
- 1 Ingredients for chilaquiles with eggs
- 2 Direction for chilaquiles with eggs
- 3 How to serve chilaquiles with eggs?
- 4 Tips & tricks for chilaquiles with eggs
- 5 Some questions about chilaquiles with eggs
Ingredients for chilaquiles with eggs
- 8 corn tortillas.
- 1 tomato.
- 1/2 onion.
- 2 eggs.
- 2 strips of bacon or 2 tablespoons of lard (if a vegetarian substitute for lard).
Ingredients for salsa ranchera (optional)
- 1/2 cup of water.
- Minced garlic clove, 1 clove.
Ingredients for crema ranchera (optional) –
- 8 tablespoons of sour cream.
- 4 tablespoons of heavy cream.
- To taste, add salt and pepper.
Direction for chilaquiles with eggs
- Place the lard in a pan and fry the tortillas until they start to become golden brown. The excess grease should be absorbed with paper towels.
- In another pan, fry the tomatoes, bacon, and onions over medium-low heat until cooked through.
- Once ready, plate your tortillas by laying them out on a plate with sides or in a shallow bowl of your choice (this is up to you on how you prefer your chilaquiles served).
- Add the tomato mixture and top with sour cream (or crema ranchera) and sprinkle with salt to taste.
Put lard in the frying pan
Direction for salsa ranchera (optional)
- Pour the water into a saucepan and add the garlic.
When the water starts to boil, turn the heat down and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain if desired.
Ingredients for crema ranchera (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and heavy cream with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use this as a sauce for your chilaquiles with eggs.
How to serve chilaquiles with eggs?
- Serve the chilaquiles with eggs, salsa ranchera (optional), sour cream, and guacamole.
- Add some tortillas over the top of your serving plate.
Serve chilaquiles with eggs
Tips & tricks for chilaquiles with eggs
- Chilaquiles are best eaten with the eggs still runny, to get the most flavor out of this dish.
- Chilaquiles are usually made with corn tortillas but flour tortillas can be used instead if desired.
- If you’re not a fan of eggs or bacon, you can try chilaquiles with salsa found at most Mexican grocery stores instead.
Some questions about chilaquiles with eggs
Can chilaquiles with eggs be frozen?
Yes, chilaquiles with eggs can be frozen as it stores well in the freezer. Be sure to wrap the dish well before placing it in the freezer to ensure that the tortillas don’t stick together when you defrost them.
Can you make a vegetarian version of chilaquiles with eggs?
Yes, vegetarians can cook this dish without meat of any kind in order to keep their diet consistent. This is probably a good idea for people who are watching their cholesterol intake as well. The same goes for non-vegetarians who want to leave out bacon but keep the rest of the ingredients. If you’re vegetarian, you can simply substitute lard in this recipe for bacon.
Is chilaquiles with eggs spicy?
Unfortunately, chilaquiles are not spicy. You may want to have some hot sauce at the table if you’re looking for some spice in your meal, though.
How long does this dish take to cook?
Depending on how fast you can fry your tortillas, it should only take a few minutes to put together and serve your delicious breakfast or midday meal!
It doesn’t take too long to cook this dish
What is the best way to reheat chilaquiles?
Chilaquiles can be reheated quickly on the stove without losing any of their flavors by placing them back in a heated oven for a few minutes. You could also serve this dish for breakfast, and then heat it up again later in the day as needed.
Is chilaquiles with eggs easy to make?
Yes, this dish can be made even by small children or beginners at home. Another good thing about this recipe is that it only requires a few basic ingredients that are easy to find at any Mexican grocery store or market you visit.
The article “Chilaquiles with eggs” is about how to make chilaquiles with eggs, in which you can delight your family and friends. The article is a complete guide to the subject, including techniques and tips on how to decide on the best ingredients for the dish, along with suggestions on what you need to have on hand as well as where you can find them.
During preparation, it tells you step-by-step instructions for preparing chilaquiles with eggs so that every dish is served just right. The final result focuses on serving options that will bring joy at any time of day for those who like a salty or spicy meal.