Ice Cream Scoops can help you make the best ice cream ever. Scooping out your favorite flavors from soft serve machines, or even hard pints for homemade Frozen Desserts is easier with a good set of scoops. They will keep their shape when turned upside down and won’t stick to any surfaces like spoons might do – making it super simple to work with all kinds of different foods in various forms such as muffins/batter etcetera.
Innovative ice cream scoops are becoming more popular. These special utensils contain an anti-freeze liquid that helps them penetrate thicker treats with ease, and they also have a heating element inside which activates when heated up.
There is nothing quite like a cold, creamy bowl of ice cream on a hot day. Whether you’re an old pro at making your own or you just love to indulge in a scoop (or two) from your favorite shop, having the right scoop makes all the difference. Check out our roundup of the 12 best ice cream scoops on the market today! With everything from classic designs to modern innovations, we’ve got you covered. So read on and find the perfect scoop for your next summertime treat.
What’s an Ice Cream Scoop?
An ice cream scoop, also known as an ice cream dish, is a utensil used to dish out perfectly rounded scoops of ice cream for cones or dishes. The most common varieties consist of a stainless steel bowl set into an oblong handle. A wire portion attaches at the bottom and when squeezed transfers the ice cream from the bowl into your dish or cone.
The cost of an ice cream scoop ranges from about $5 to more than $20 depending on style, material, and size. In this roundup, we feature options in a variety of price points made from both plastic and metal materials.
Who is the inventor of the ice cream scoop?
Some people believe that this type of utensil was invented by ice cream parlors to provide an easy way to serve customers their delicious treats. However, the earliest known patent for a food dishes or ice cream scoop was filed in 1927 by Ruth Wakefield who owned The Toll House Restaurant with her husband.
Ms. Wakefield created what is now known as the standard-size ice cream scoop with her creation of the cookie known as the Toll House Cookie. The patent for this invention was filed on March 9, 1930, and was granted on August 31, 1932, almost 10 years before Dorset began manufacturing ice cream scoops.
List of 12 Best Ice Cream Scoops Reviews
1. Pro Culinary CULINARY PRO Deluxe Ice Cream Scoop
- The Professional Culinary Pro Deluxe Ice Cream Scoop is a must-have tool. This deluxe ice cream scoop features a soft grip handle that is comfortable to hold and also features a notch at the bottom of the handle to help lift open the lid to your ice cream carton.
- The heavy-duty stainless steel scoop has sharp edges for easy control when scooping ice cream or gelato, but also can be used for scooping seeds, cookie dough, and brownie batter. This ice cream scooper is reusable, easy to clean, and dishwasher safe. Its simple yet ergonomic design makes it perfect for any kitchen or restaurant owner.
2. OXO Steel Ice Cream Scoop
- Trust OXO to help you make your favorite party dessert a breeze with this Steel Ice Cream Scoop. It features a sturdy stainless steel head that scoops your favorite ice cream, sorbet, or sherbert. The pop-up lever pops your scoop into a cone, dish, or alongside your favorite dessert.
- Sleek, brushed stainless steel handle features flexible fins to keep your hand comfy. With its sleek design and dishwasher-safe design, it’s easy to organize the kitchen with this handy tool and clean-up can be done in seconds.
3. OXO Good Grips Ice Cream Scoop
- The secret to delicious ice cream is knowing how to properly scoop it. This OXO Good Grips Classic Ice Cream Scoop is the perfect tool for a job well done. With its pointed design, it’s easy to get those hard or frozen pieces of ice cream out without requiring much muscle.
- The wide flat edges reach into the corners of containers, making it easy to transfer your tasty treat from the container into a dish or bowl. And because this OXO Good Grips Classic Ice Cream Scoop is made of stainless steel, you can throw it in the top rack of your dishwasher and not have to worry about scratching or rusting it.
4. OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Ice Cream Scoop
- A must-have for any sweet tooth, this stainless steel ice cream scoop is a real find. Its pointed tip easily scoops even hard ice cream from its container and the flat edges reach into corners of the container to avoid leaving behind any gooey bits.
- The spoon’s nonslip grip allows anyone to effortlessly scoop your favorite frozen treat without dropping it on the ground or kitchen floor. Plus, it’s dishwasher safe so you can put it away in one piece after you’re done.
5. YasTant Premium Ice Cream Scoop with Trigger Ice Cream Scooper Stainless Steel
- The spherical spoon head on the ice cream scoop with a trigger designated to create the perfectly rounded scoop while the nonstick press-down trigger can pop it off in no effort.
- This stainless steel ice cream scooper is designed to have a great grip. It has a heat-conducting path for your hands and the handle of the tool that’s made out of silicone, which is extremely comfortable on your hand. The scoop has an ergonomic design so it can be easily used by anyone in any kitchen environment!
- The Heavy Duty Ice Cream Scooper is a premium grade stainless steel ice cream scoop that can be used in any range of working environments. It’s the last ice cream spoon you’ll ever need to buy since it lasts forever.
- No more fighting with ice cream scoops! Not only do these metal scoopers look pretty, but they are great for making melon or other fruit salads, filling peppers, and cooking cupcakes. They are also perfect for use in the kitchen to make muffins, pancakes, and cookie doughs. This is a very versatile tool that you will love using every day in your kitchen.
- The nonstick, dishwasher-safe ice cream scooper with the trigger is a reusable utensil for all your needs. With the stainless steel scoop spoon that easily comes off from it, you can easily clean residuals on the handle and in between thanks to its easy-to-flush surface.
6. KitchenAid Classic Ice Cream Scoop, One Size, Black 2
- KitchenAid’s Classic Ice Cream Scoop will amaze you with its sharp and sturdy cast zinc head that scoops ice cream with ease. Made from a lightweight and durable ABS plastic, the scoop is easy to manipulate for comfortable use. It features an ergonomic handle for comfort and ease of use as well as a glossy ABS handle featuring a debossed logo and an ABS chrome plated bolster.
- The perfect size for making your frozen desserts, this KitchenAid ice cream scoop is 8.54inches long. Dishwasher safe and easy to clean, this product has all the features you need to make serving delicious desserts quick and easy.
7. Tuilful Ice Cream Scoops Set of 3 with Trigger
- Tuilful cookie scoops from 3 different sizes are great for hard and soft ice creams, cookies, cupcakes, and other desserts. You can also use them for ball melons or drop biscuits, meatballs, and mashed potatoes. These professional-grade stainless steel utensils will last you a long time because they don’t absorb flavors as aluminum would. They’re easy to clean too, the only thing that’s harder is finding tasks that won’t be easier with these bad boys in your kitchen.
- The innovative trigger and cog-and-ratchet system make these scoops more efficient, practical, and easier to use. The handles are designed with thoughtful considerations so you don’t have much difficulty using them even if your hands are wet or greasy.
- This cookie scoop is made of premium food-grade stainless steel, has no harmful chemicals, is non-toxic, and is nickel-free. They are safe for daily use so that you can keep your family’s cookies healthy. It also has stain-resistant and rust-free features to ensure that your ingredients stay fresh through all the steps of baking.
- Made of premium 18/8(304) stainless steel and high strength, the ice cream scoops are corrosion-resistant. The scoop’s bowl is thickened for easy use and prevents it from breaking or bending easily. Though they can be hand washed or cleaned in a dishwasher, don’t worry about them being tippy, this cookie set will not tip over easily.
8. KitchenAid KO117OHAQA Gourmet Ice Cream Scoop, One Size, Matte Aqua Sky
- The scoop has a sharp, cast zinc head for quick and easy ice cream scooping. The handle is ergonomic, with a handle that also features the KitchenAid brand logo and includes an ABS chrome-plated bolster to make it easy on your hands.
- The KitchenAid 8.54-inch scoops are available in packs of four and measure the perfect size for all ice cream lovers! They feature measurements of eight inches, six inches, five inches, and three-and-a or two-inch sizes -all fit conveniently into a dishwasher(Dishwasher safe).
9. Gorilla Grip Large, Comfortable Handle, Heavy Duty Ice Cream Scoop
- They Won’t Bend or Break scoop is made of high quality, durable zinc alloy metal and glides through even the hardest ice cream without bending under pressure. It never struggles with scooping stubborn desserts like ice cream because it doesn’t bend at all.
- Easy to grip and slip-resistant handle won’t freeze your hands or make them cold. Ergonomic design was made with comfort in mind, so it will help you dig through ice cream without effort. The innovative notch on the handle of this scooper lifts off the lid easily for an easy scoop.
- Perfect Scoops are the shape of scoops that allow you to create large and beautiful scoops. It has a generous size that is perfect for other foods like scooping pumpkin, melon, cookie dough, meatballs, and more.
- Get more ice cream from less effort with the Smart Scooper, which includes flat edges on its scoop to ensure no ice scream gets stuck in and around the corners of a container. The Easy Clean feature makes cleaning simple by washing it by hand or while in your dishwasher’s utensil basket.
10. Pimoys Ice Cream Scoop, 7 inches Nonstick
- Made of aluminum, the ice cream scoop spoon is strong and non-corrosive. The ant-freeze coating brings a nonstick property which guarantees that it will never bend or break.
- Thoughtful Design’s Ice Cream Scoop is an ingenious tool that cuts through hard ice cream effortlessly. It has a spear-shaped design, so it will never get stuck in your freezer. The handle part of the scoop provides great grip and it can be used with one hand. At 7 inches long, the spoon makes getting just the right amount easy to achieve too.
- As easy as it can be to make ice cream, this nonstick scoop is designed for quick and simple cleaning. Use a little soap or hand wash with warm water-no worries about rusty scoops every time. Store your kitchen under room temperature after use so that you don’t find any rust on them from being left out in the cold.
- This scoop can be used for scooping hard frozen ice cream, gelato, sorbet, Italian ices, and healthy low-fat frozen yogurt and fruits. It is useful in a variety of places such as your home or dessert shop, cafés or bars, restaurants or offices.
11. Spring Chef Ice Cream Scoop with Comfortable Handle, Black
- This is a genuinely heavy-duty tool that has no gimmicks or mechanical parts and feels strong. It’s dishwasher safe, perfect for other creative uses such as scooping out seeds from melons or filling peppers with stuffing. This gelato scooper works amazingly well for custard too – it’s guaranteed by this Lifetime Warranty.
- An ice cream maker that creates perfect spheres of ice cream! It cuts through smoothly and effortlessly. This way, the scooped portions can be made into beautiful cones, brownies, and pies, or even more scoops with ease.
- The unique shape is perfect for quickly tackling hard frozen desserts. The curved surface of the scoop makes brilliant curls, while the thin edges help improve digging out ice cream from corners and getting every last tasty bite. There’s even a notch on the handle to remove lids which helps keep your hands happy, too.
- Glides smoothly and easily through hard-packed frozen sweets. It will seem like ice cream is flowing right into the ice cream scoops, then dropping into your mouth with little to no effort.
12. OXO Good Grips Classic Ice Cream Scoop
- Who says the old-school scoop shouldn’t be updated? The OXO Good Grips Classic Ice Cream Scoop addresses this classic tool with a modern take on an all-time favorite design. Made of durable stainless steel that won’t chip, pit or rust, this ice cream scoop features a pop-up lever that releases rounded scoops with a simple press.
- The handle features a soft, non-slip grip that absorbs pressure to minimize effort even when scooping hard ices and sorbets like sherbet or mango sorbet. With its comfortable shape and dishwasher-safe material, this ice cream scoop is always ready for the next bowl of your favorite frozen treat.
Tips and guide to buying the best Ice Cream Scoop
Buying an ice cream scoop is not as simple or a straightforward process. You have to consider the type, quality of materials used in its construction and how much it will cost peruse- but don’t forget about features such as durability! In this article, we’ll discuss what you should be looking out for when purchasing an Ice Cream Scoop & why they matter so much if your goal is to have one last longer than most other products on shelves today.
The best ice cream scoop is made from solid metal construction. Plastic implements are lightweight, but they can crack or break if dropped. You should always pick a stainless steel option that doesn’t have thin spots around the handle or seams- these tend to be more vulnerable to damage. We’re talking about investment so don’t let price alone be your guide.
The best ice cream scoop should have a polished stainless steel bowl- not roughcast, which can leave shavings in your ice cream. The handle design is important as well- single-piece metal handles with a larger button will stand up to repeated use better than plastic or wood handles.
When it comes to size, bigger is not always better. Oversized ice cream scoops can be difficult to handle and are more likely to cause an uneven distribution of the dessert in your cone or bowl. A commercial-sized scoop may be too large for your needs as well, so consider the size of ice cream you typically serve at home.
The shape of the scoop is also important. A classic round scoop will work for most ice cream recipes, but you may want something more specialized depending on the recipe you’re using. For instance, a trigger-style ice cream scoop is perfect for making long cylindrical scoops.
The best ice cream scoop is dishwasher safe, but should have a narrow bowl that will fit into your utensil rack- or it can be stored on your countertop if you have the space. The handle should also be easy to grip and be able to withstand the high temperatures of a dishwasher.
The best ice cream scoop for your needs will have a comfortable handle with a good grip. The design should also feel balanced in your hand so even when exerting pressure you can maintain control of the utensil. Finally, it’s important to minimize fatigue when serving ice cream so look for an implement with a trigger release.
Believe it or not, vintage ice cream scoops can be a great deal- if you find the right one. However, most of these older implements are made from materials that don’t hold up as well as stainless steel. Look for an ice cream scoop with a wooden or plastic handle that is in good condition- make sure the bowl is stainless steel.
FAQs about an Ice Cream Scoop
What size is a standard ice cream scoop?
A standard ice cream scoop has a round bowl with a two-inch diameter and a 4 1/2 inch handle. This size is perfect for serving scoops between one and one and a half ounces each.
What shape should I look for in an ice cream scoop?
If you plan to make fast work out of scooping ice cream then you should purchase a trigger or lever-style utensil. You’ll also want to pick one with an angled bowl so all the ice cream will slide right off.
What are some features I should look for in an ice cream scoop?
A trigger-style ice cream scoop has a metal handle and bowl so it can withstand high temperatures in the dishwasher. Look for one with an angled bowl and a wider release to make scooping easier.
How do I clean an ice cream scoop?
Most ice cream scoops can be washed in the dishwasher, but make sure to check the manufacturer’s instructions first. The bowl of the scoop should be narrow enough to fit in the utensil rack and have a comfortable handle that is easy to grip.
What is the difference between an ice cream scoop and a disher?
An ice cream scoop has a symmetrical bowl with the same diameter on top as it does at the base. A disher- also known as a portion scoop- has a larger head for faster serving and a smaller opening towards the bottom. It is not recommended for scooping ice cream.
How do I know if an ice cream scoop is vintage?
Generally, a vintage ice cream scoop will be made out of stainless steel with a wooden or plastic handle. The bowl should have a round shape and the utensil should be well-balanced in your hand. If it doesn’t have a trigger release, it’s not a good buy.
A quality ice cream scoop is a kitchen essential for any dessert lover. It’s important to consider the shape, size, and design of the scoop before making your purchase. The best ice cream scoop will have a trigger release, be dishwasher safe, and have a comfortable handle.
The 12 best ice cream scoops we’ve shared above are the perfect way to enjoy a hot summer day. No matter what you like, there is something for everyone in this list of options. If you want your iced treat to be healthy or if you prefer vegan products, any one of these will work great for you. We hope that our comprehensive comparison has helped guide your decision on which scoop might suit your needs and preferences best. Buy now so you can start enjoying all the deliciousness they have to offer.