Chilaquiles with chicken recipes are some of the most popular dishes in Mexico. They are an appetizer or a main dish, depending on what you like. This dish is very easy to make and can be made with tortillas, then fried in a pan to make them crispy.
Chilaquiles with chicken is a delicious dish from Mexico
- 1 Ingredients for chilaquiles with chicken
- 2 Preparation of chilaquiles with chicken
- 3 Tips & tricks for chilaquiles with chicken
- 4 Some questions about chilaquiles with chicken
Ingredients for chilaquiles with chicken
- 3 chicken breasts.
- 3 tomatoes.
- 3 onions.
- 3 serrano peppers.
- 10 corn tortillas.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil for frying the tortillas (so that they will be crunchy).
- 1 cup of salsa.
Preparation of chilaquiles with chicken
- Onions, tomatoes, and peppers should be sliced.
- Wash the chicken and cut it into small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the tortillas and fry them to make them crispy, then take them off.
- Add half of the chopped onion to the frying pan with some salt. Make sure it is golden brown before serving.
- Add more oil if needed and add half of the chicken. Cook for 3 minutes on each side with salt and pepper on both sides until it is cooked through and well seasoned.
- Add the other half of the chopped onion, the serrano peppers, and the tomatoes.
- Continue cooking for 4 minutes with salt and pepper on both sides until cooked through and well seasoned.
- Add the other half of the chicken, season again with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the salsa. Cover for a few minutes, then raise up a bit to allow all of the liquid to cook down a bit more (you may want to add some tomato juice from canned tomatoes).
Chop chicken into small pieces
Tips & tricks for chilaquiles with chicken
- You can make this with tofu instead of chicken, or use a vegetarian alternative.
- You can also use different types of salsas (red, green, etc.).
- This recipe can be the prepared the day before and reheated when you are ready to serve it.
- You can have it as an appetizer or a main dish; it all depends on your appetite!
- It is usually served with refried beans and white rice.
- If you want to make it for a large number of people, you can freeze the chicken for use later on. (You can boil the chicken, then cut it into small pieces.).
Chilaquiles with chicken are prepared with different ingredients; there are many ways to make these little delicacies. They are very easy to prepare and make a great appetizer or a main dish!
You can make this dish with tofu
Some questions about chilaquiles with chicken
Why is this dish so popular?
Chilaquiles with chicken is one of the most popular dishes in Mexico; this dish can be found in almost every Mexican restaurant.
This dish is very easy to make and you won´t even break a sweat preparing it. Chilaquiles with chicken can be made as an appetizer or a main dish: it all depends on your appetite!
Mexicans eat chilaquiles for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It is a very versatile recipe, as you can use different ingredients to make these fried tortillas into an appetizer or a main dish, depending on how many people you are serving and if you want to have it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Who invented chilaquiles with chicken?
There are many debates on who invented chilaquiles with chicken, but there is a lot of evidence that indicates it was the cooks of the hotel Montejo in the 1930s. They were ordered to make a dish from the leftovers of last night’s dinner, which consisted of tortillas and chicken. They fried them together to make them crunchy and spicy!
It has been so popular, that it has been adopted as a traditional dish in Mexico. You can find chilaquiles in all states and regions; some add other ingredients such as beans, corn or cheese.
This dish originated from the Montejo hotel
Which is the best salsa for chilaquiles with chicken?
In this case, the colors are red, green, orange, and yellow. The most popular is made with tomatoes and jalapeño peppers. It is very easy to prepare and the taste is exquisite.
What kind of meat is used to make chilaquiles with chicken?
Saving the best for last, chilaquiles with chicken is made with chicken. It can be used with any cut of meat or even without meat!
You can make it with real chicken breasts, turkey breasts, egg whites, or even tofu. It´s all good! Whether you use vegetarian options or not any makes a great dish.
Chilaquiles with chicken is a very versatile recipe, as you can use different ingredients to make these fried tortillas into an appetizer or a main dish. depending on how many people you are serving and if you want to have it for breakfast lunch or dinner.