This is the best sweet dumpling squash recipe that you can make at home. It’s a simple, no-fuss recipe that yields delicious results every time. The texture of the squash is so soft and it melts in your mouth with each bite. This dish pairs well with any type of protein or can be eaten as a side dish for dinner.
I think sweet dumpling squash would also taste great mashed up with some butter and salt on top, which is how my grandma always made them when I was growing up. You’ll need to roast these veggies for about 45 minutes until they are tender, but don’t worry because there are plenty of other things you can do while they’re baking away.
- 1 Ingredients for Sweet Dumpling Squash Recipe
- 2 Directions for Sweet Dumpling Squash Recipe
- 3 Cooking notes for Sweet Dumpling Squash Recipe
- 4 FAQs about Sweet Dumpling Squash Recipe
- 4.1 What type of squash is a sweet dumpling squash?
- 4.2 Is it possible to make this recipe with other types of winter squashes instead?
- 4.3 Does it matter how I peel the sweet dumpling squash?
- 4.4 Is there any other way to cook my sweet dumpling squash apart from boiling in water?
- 4.5 How long does baked sweet dumpling squash last?
- 5 Conclusion for Sweet Dumpling Squash Recipe
Ingredients for Sweet Dumpling Squash Recipe
- One whole sweet dumpling squash, peeled and seeded (about 2 lbs).
- 1/2 cup water.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- Dash of ground white pepper.
Directions for Sweet Dumpling Squash Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pot, add 1/2 cup of water. Add the salt and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Then add whole peeled sweet dumpling squash to the pot, cover with a lid and reduce heat to medium-high for about 20 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Remove sweet dumpling squash from the pot and let cool for 10 minutes. Using a fork, remove the flesh of the sweet dumpling squash in one piece. Place flesh in a baking dish leaving a 1/4 inch border around each side of the dish (for browning purposes). Continue with remaining sweet dumpling squashes until finished.
- Add pepper to taste then top each individual piece with roughly one teaspoon of softened butter directly on top of the flesh pieces before putting them back in the oven for additional 20 minutes or until they are golden browned on top.
Cooking notes for Sweet Dumpling Squash Recipe
- To soften butter, place in microwave for 15 seconds or until softened.
- Make sure to use the fork to scoop out the flesh of the sweet dumpling squash so you don’t lose any of it! The more flesh you have, the more delicious this recipe will be.
- This dish is great with sausage links or links of turkey sausage with some mashed potatoes and vegetables on the side. It would also taste well mixed in with rice or other grains.
FAQs about Sweet Dumpling Squash Recipe
What type of squash is a sweet dumpling squash?
The official definition of a dish comes from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). It’s a white winter squash with a round, deep orange or yellowish body tapering toward both ends with an abrupt neck and rounded base. If you want to learn more about purchasing this delicious type of winter squash click on the link provided here: Sweet Dumpling Squash Definition.
Is it possible to make this recipe with other types of winter squashes instead?
No, I don’t recommend using any other types of winter squashes for this particular dish because they just won’t taste as good. White winter squash like the one used in this recipe is the only type of winter squash that will taste delicious with this side dish.
Does it matter how I peel the sweet dumpling squash?
No, no matter how you peel it or cut it, you’re going to get delicious results! The best way to peel a winter squash is using a sharp stainless steel knife.
Make sure to scoop out all of the seeds before peeling and if you feel like your hands are getting tired when doing so, use one of these tools for scraping seeds from inside of squashes: How To Peel Squash.
Is there any other way to cook my sweet dumpling squash apart from boiling in water?
If you don’t want to boil your sweet dumpling squash in water, you can also roast them whole or cut up first on a sheet pan. To do this: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place whole peeled and seeded sweet dumpling squashes and any other winter squashes you want to use onto an oiled sheet pan.
Roast for about 45 minutes or until fork-tender, then follow the steps for preparing them further as directed above (adding butter, salt, and pepper).
How long does baked sweet dumpling squash last?
Sweet dumpling squash leftovers should be stored in an airtight container inside your refrigerator’s crisper drawer where it will keep fresh for around 3-4 days after baking.
Conclusion for Sweet Dumpling Squash Recipe
With this recipe, you can enjoy the taste of sweet dumpling squash without having to forage in your backyard. We hope that it becomes a new favorite side dish! If you like what we’ve created here, please share with friends and neighbors on social media or by word-of-mouth. You never know who might be looking for an easy way to make this delicious stew at home. Bon appetit!