Hard ciders are a delicious and versatile drink that can be substituted for wine, beer, or other alcoholic beverages when it’s not possible to have one of each. Hard cider has the same refreshing taste as fruit-based wines but is lower in alcohol content so you don’t get punch drunk faster. I love hard cider during autumn seasons because its tart qualities meld well with familiar spices like cloves while vanilla beans add complexity throughout this seasonal favorite-making every day special even if there isn’t much happening outside my window.
When most people think of hard cider, they likely imagine the sweet, apple-flavored beverage that is popular in the United States. However, there is so much more to hard cider than that! In fact, there are many different types of hard ciders available on the market today, from dry and bitter to fruity and sweet. If you’re looking for a new drink to add to your rotation, or if you’re simply curious about what hard cider has to offer, then read on for our complete buyer’s guide. We’ll share with you twelve of the best hard ciders out there, along with a little bit of information about each one.
How to make hard cider?
Hard ciders are apple-based beverages that have an alcohol content of around 4-7% ABV. Some hard ciders are carbonated while others are still, but the popular fruit-flavored drink is essentially fermented apple juice with a dash of other fruits or spices added for flavor. If you’ve ever made your own homemade hard cider before, you’ll know that it’s a fairly simple process. In fact, all you need is apple cider, yeast, and sugar.
To make your own hard cider, start by mixing together 1 gallon of apple cider with 2-3 cups of white sugar. Dissolve the sugar completely before adding in a packet of yeast. Mix everything together well and pour it into a fermentation vessel. Make sure to leave enough space at the top of the container for the cider to foam up during fermentation.
Put on the lid and attach an airlock, then let the cider ferment for around two weeks. Once it’s done fermenting, you can either drink it as is or bottle it for later. If you choose to bottle it, make sure to wait at least another two weeks for the cider to carbonate.
If you’re looking for a harder cider, you can simply add more sugar to the recipe or increase the fermentation time. Just be careful not to add too much sugar or else you’ll end up with a high-alcohol cider that’s not safe for consumption by people under the age of 21.
List of 12 Best Hard Ciders Reviews
1. BrewDemon 2 Gal. Boysenberry Hard Cider Recipe Kit
- Brewing hard cider is a challenging and intense process that involves removing the air from tough-to-ripen apples, pounding them with authority, and then boiling them to perfection. They take care of these recipes, using the best winter sopmapplepielee.
- These recipes work best with a 2-gallon system but can be brewed with any two-gallon system. This kit includes the ingredients to make this 2 gal recipe. The theeverotional journey will be changed when you create your own conical 3 gal recipe using this kit.
2. Final Touch Hard Cider Glasses, Set of 2 (GG5018)
- Introducing the GG5018 hard cider glasses. This final touch to your wine collection is a set of two V-shaped glasses that will help to enhance aromas and give you a bit more taste of the best hard cider on the market. Are you looking for a pair of glasses that are specifically designed for hard cider? Look no further than the GG5018.
- These glasses have a proud passion from being specifically designed for hard cider. The V-shaped bowl helps to enhance aromas and provides a saw-like structure to the lenses. The glass is then top-rack dishwasher safe for easy perusal through this wide variety of wines. This bold extra-large stem and base provide stability and make it easy to visibly distinguish differences.
3. BrewDemon 2 Gal. Forbidden Fruit Hard Cider Recipe Kit
- BrewDemon’s new recipe for hard cider is consistent with other kits because it features apples grown in New Zealand. The results are scary-good! The recipes are easy to prepare and the products are world-class, providing the optimum flavor profiles for world-class hard cider.
- These recipes work best with the BrewDemon 2 gallon conical system. However, it also includes a 2 gal system that can be brewed with any 2 gal system. The ingredients to make this are 3 simple and easy-to-read tablets: malt, hops, yeast, and sugar.
4. Libbey 4 Piece Hard Cider McIntosh Drinkware Set, Clear
- This Libbey 4 Piece Hard Cider McIntosh Drinkware Set is a great bachelor, housewarming, or host gift. The set includes four 16 ounce hard cider glasses measuring 6″ tall and 3-3/4″ in diameter.
- The glasses are also dishwasher safe so you can clean them in the Dishes category if you choose. The set also comes with four Libbey Perfect glass swirls measuring 5″ tall and 3-3/4″ in diameter which is made of the perfect clarity for drinking neat.
5. BrewDemon 2 Gal. Blueberry Hard Cider Recipe Kit
- These recipes are consistent and the results are scary-good. They take just minutes to prepare this recipe, which is different from other kits that require hours or days of preparation time. The result is a big difference for you. NewZealand Recipe features apples grown in the fertile orchards of New Zealand, providing the optimum flavor profiles for world-class hard cider.
- These recipes work best with a 2-gallon conical system but can be brewed with any 2 gal system. Everything you need is included in this kit. You only need to make this 3 qty recipe and it will be some of the best hard cider you ever made.
6. BrewDemon Hard Cider Kit Extra by Demon Brewing Company
- These 2-gallon recipes are reliable and easy to make. They take just minutes to prepare, and the results are scary-good. They have a patented pro-style conical fermenter that produces a wicked-good result every time you brew.
- Brewing hard ciders is a process of choice in New Zealand. It is a high-quality, fresh product that is grown in the fertile orchards of New Zealand. Only the finest quality apples are chosen at the height of ripeness. The package includes this Forbidden Fruit Hard Cider recipe kit, which is a dry, crisp refreshing hard cider.
- This hard cider makes you focus on the brewing process, while this cider can be brewed in as little as 15 minutes on the stove – leaving you time and energy to add that extra apple, honey, or whatever your secret ingredients may be.
- The only 2-gallon kit includes a 1-quart bottle and a bottle filling valve. No need to siphon from your fermenter to the bottles. Just turn the valve and fill your bottles.BrewDemon offers the best-tasting homemade hard cider with no effort on this part. They simply include 2 gallons of sauce by weight, which is all that is necessary for us to make this product.
7. BrewDemon Hard Cider Kit by Demon Brewing Company
- These 2 gallon recipes are affordable, easy to make, and have great results. You don’t need a lot of money to find good recipes-they have the perfect recipe for you! The pro-style conical fermenter helps you keep track of your fermentation progress. The easy-to-use recipes make it simple to make beer.
- BrewDemon’s hard cider is delicious, fresh, and most importantly -chilling! The package includes this Forbidden Fruit Hard Cider recipe kit. This will make your taste-buddies green goo convenient. Only the finest quality apples are chosen at the height of ripeness.
- They offer a range of cider sets that make you focus on the brewing process, like this coffee set which has live bees and Betelgeuse. Or the porters and stouts set, which have Clydesdale Hops. Or even the stable head mostly whisky. All of the thesauri focus on making hard cider from scratch, using only the best quality fruit and sugar supply available.
8. Libbey Craft Brews Hard Cider Glasses, 16-ounce, Set of 4
- These specially designed glasses are perfect for the beer lover who wants to recreate the natural shape of an apple. They duplicated the look and feel of wearing regular glasses, without any hassle. Plus, they are fun and perfect for the craft brew lover who appreciates how an apple Contouripedialof hard cider feels.
- Libbey’s 4, 16-ounce hard cider glasses are made with lead-free materials. Each glass is securely packed and always shipped in its own individual packaging. It is always washed prior to use as orders fulfilled by Libbey are shipped directly from the manufacturer’s warehouse.
- Libbey is a quick, easy cleaning service that helps preserve and clean your products. They provide care and handling instructions for each product they sell.
9. Brooklyn Brew Shop Hard Cider Making Kit
- The Hard Cider Making Kit is a kit that is perfect for beginners who want to ferment hard cider without any trouble. In this program, published beer authors make easy-to-follow videos and instructions, which will help you to ferment hard cider on your own home soil. This kit makes three batches of hard cider with easy-to-use steps, which are also included in the price range.
- The kit includes a gallon of fermenting glass, three sets of yeast, two gallons of water, one screw-cap stopper. The crafty thing to do is to Pour all these things into the fermenter and fill it with apple cider or juice.
10. BrewDemon Hard Cider Kit Plus by Demon Brewing Company
- This 2-gallon recipe is formulated with a pro-style conical fermenter that produces good results every time. Unlike those expensive 1-gallon kits, these recipes take just minutes to prepare and the results are impressive! Don’t be fooled by competitors’ messy, time-consuming recipes that use a jug or bucket. This patented pro-style fermenter makes brewing fun and easy.
- BrewDemon’s Forbidden Fruit Hard Cider recipe kit is a dry, crisp refreshing hard cider. This package includes this Forbidden fruit hard cider recipe kit – which is made from premium quality apples that are grown in the fertile orchards of New Zealand.
- This cider is brewed in as little as 15 minutes on the stove, so you can focus on your recipe. These hard cider kits make you focus on the brewing process, but this cider can be made in a shorter amount of time by using this easy-to-follow recipe.
- This 2-gallon kit includes a 1-quart bottle filling valve and a 1-quart bottle. You don’t need to siphon from your fermenter to use this kit- just turn the valve and fill your bottles. This is the best-tasting hard cider you can make at home with BrewDemon.
11. BrewDemon Hard Cider Kit Pro by Demon Brewing Company
- Unlike those expensive 1 gallon kits, these 2-gallon recipes are quick and simple to prepare. The results are scary good! They don’t use a jug or bucket like competitors, instead, they use a patented pro-style conical fermenter that is easy to use.
- BrewDemon’s hard cider tastes amazing and is grown in the fertile orchards of New Zealand. Only the finest quality apples are chosen at the height of ripeness, making it a delicious and refreshing drink. This package includes this Forbidden Fruit Blueberry Hard Cider recipe kit- which is a dry, crisp and refreshing cider with a sweet blueberry finish.
- Most hard cider kits require you to spend a lot of time brewing, leaving you little time and energy to focus on adding the extra apple, honey, or whatever your secret ingredient may be. This cider can be brewed in as little as 15 minutes on the stove – making it easy for you to have that intense flavor without having to spend hours baking.
- The BrewDemon 2-gallon kit includes 1-quart bottles and a filling valve. You don’t need to siphon from your fermenter to the bottles – just turn the valve and fill your bottles. This is the best-tasting hard cider you can make at home with only BrewDemon.
Tips and guide to buying the best Hard Cider
When you’re looking for the best hard cider to buy, there are a few things that you can look for:
Most traditional hard ciders are made with a single type of apple, but there are other options out there as well. In some cases, multi-apple blends will produce more complex flavors, while others will simply provide a basic, one-note flavor that is easier to drink. So how do you know which kind to buy?
If you’re looking for a hard cider that has a complex and nuanced flavor, then a multi-apple blend is the way to go. These ciders are made with a mix of different apple varieties, which results in a more interesting flavor profile.
If you’re looking for something more basic and straightforward, then a single-apple cider is probably the way to go. These ciders are made with one type of apple specifically for its flavor profile, which results in a drink that’s easy to drink without any added complexities.
Most hard ciders have some sort of sugar content, whether it comes from the fruit puree or it’s added in during the fermentation process. However, these sweeteners can vary quite a bit depending on what you’re looking for.
If you’re looking for something that is low-sugar and somewhat acidic, then a dry hard cider is probably your best bet. These ciders are made using apples that have been left to over-ripen, which results in a more tart and bitter flavor.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for something that is sweet and smooth, then you’ll want to go with a sweet hard cider. These ciders are made with apples that have been blended with added sugars, which results in a more balanced flavor profile.
If you’re looking for something that has an interesting spice or herbal addition, then it’s likely that the hard cider you’re looking at contains some kind of added spices. Some drinkers enjoy these ciders because they can provide an interesting counterbalance to all of the sugar, while others are turned off by the added flavors.
If you’re not sure whether or not you’ll like a hard cider with spices, it’s always best to ask the person selling it. They should be able to tell you what kind of flavors you can expect and whether or not they are overpowering.
One thing that you may want to consider when buying a hard cider is how long it will last. A lot of ciders have a good shelf life and can be stored for a few months or even years.
Tips for using your Hard Cider
Once you have a bottle of hard cider, there are a few things that you can do with it:
- If you’re looking for something that is easy to drink and doesn’t require any added effort, then simply drinking your hard cider as-is is the way to go. Most ciders are poured over ice or mixed with a soft drink, which makes it easy to enjoy.
- Hard cider can also be used in cocktails, either as a main ingredient or as a modifier. If you’re looking for something that is light and refreshing, then hard cider is a great option. You can also use it to add sweetness or sourness depending on what your drink requires.
- Finally, hard cider can also be used as a cooking ingredient if you’re looking to add some interesting qualities to your dish. The right hard cider can go great in pies, soups, stews, and other dishes, which gives you even more reason to buy it.
FAQs about a Hard Cider
How do you store hard cider?
Hard cider should be stored in a cool, dark place for up to three months. After this time period passes, you will need to drink your hard cider, or else it will go bad.
What is the right temperature for drinking hard cider?
The ideal temperature for drinking hard cider depends on what type of flavor profile you’re looking for. Dry ciders should be served cold, while sweet ciders can be served at room temperature.
How long does a bottle of hard cider last?
A typical bottle of hard cider will last for around two weeks once it has been opened. However, if you store it in a fridge, it will last for up to three months.
How can you tell if a hard cider has gone bad?
If a hard cider has gone bad, it will start to smell fruity and sour. The taste will also be off, and you will likely experience nausea and vomiting after drinking it. If you think that your hard cider has gone bad, it is best to dispose of it immediately.
What is the difference between a dry and a sweet hard cider?
The main difference between a dry and a sweet hard cider is the amount of sugar that is present in each one. Dry ciders are made with apples that have been left to over-ripen, while sweet ciders are made with apples that have been blended with added sugars. As a result, dry ciders are often more tart and sour, while sweet ciders are more mellow and smooth.
Can hard cider be used in cooking?
Yes, hard cider can be used in cooking to add sweetness or sourness to a dish. It is a great option for those who are looking to add some interesting qualities to their meal.
When it comes to buying hard cider, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind. Firstly, you need to decide what type of flavor profile you’re looking for. Do you want something sweet or dry? Secondly, you need to think about how long you want your hard cider to last. Some ciders have a good shelf life and can be stored for a few months or even years. Finally, you need to think about your storage options. You can store your hard cider in a cool, dark place or in the fridge if you want to keep it fresh for longer. With these points in mind, finding the right hard cider should be simple. Just follow this guide and you’ll be on your way to enjoying the perfect bottle.
If you’ve been thinking about trying a new hard cider, it can be difficult to know where to start. We hope this buyer’s guide has helped narrow your search and given you some solid recommendations for the best ciders on the market right now. We also included an in-depth product review of each one so that you have all the information necessary before making a purchase decision. Be sure to check out our other blog posts if there are any topics we didn’t cover today! Which is your favorite? Let us know below.