The best way to spend an evening outdoors with family and friends is by grilling up some food. All you need are a few dishes, drinks for everyone else (or just yourself), and your favorite grill. A great small charcoal grill can make sure that every bite tastes as delicious in real life as it does when we picture our meals on fire at dinner time.
There are so many great small charcoal grills on the market today. But which one is right for you? That’s where this blog post comes in because we’ve done all of the hard work and research for you. We compiled a list of 12 awesome small charcoal grills that give you great value without breaking your budget or requiring too much space. From gas to electric, portable to table-sized, there’s something here for everyone. Keep reading to find out more about these 12 top-rated products that will make outdoor cooking easy and convenient no matter what your needs are.
List of 12 Best Small Charcoal Grills Reviews
1. Weber Original Kettle Premium Small Charcoal Grill
- When it comes to backyard grilling, don’t be fooled by small packages. The Weber Original Kettle Premium Small Charcoal Grill is perfect for those who like to grill on a smaller scale. This grill may be small in size but its 13 burger capacity means you can feed the whole crew. With an aluminum damper and one-touch cleaning system, this grill is easy to use and easy to clean.
- The porcelain-enameled lid and bowl keep your food warm and look good while doing it – no rusting or peeling here! Plus, the hinged cooking grate makes adding charcoal a breeze. So pull out your little Weber Original Kettle Premium Small Charcoal Grill and show everyone how it’s done.
2. Weber 14501001 Master-Touch Small Charcoal Grill, 22-Inch, Black
- The Weber 14501001 Master-Touch Small Charcoal Grill is perfect for anyone who wants to grill up a small feast. This grill has a cooking grate that is compatible with GBS inserts, making it easy to cook your food the way you want it.
- The hinged cooking grate also makes adding charcoal while grilling a breeze, and the tool hooks make it easy to keep your grilling tools within reach. Plus, the built-in lid thermometer displays your grill’s internal temperature, so you can always ensure that your food is cooked perfectly.
3. Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Small Charcoal Grill, Black, 15″H x 19.5″W x 11.5″L
- Weber’s Go-Anywhere Grill is perfect for the grilling enthusiast on the go. This lightweight and compact grill can easily fit in your car trunk or storage area and holds up to six burgers at once. The porcelain-enameled lid and base retain heat well, so you can cook evenly all over, and the lid locks for easy transport.
- The dampers also allow you to control the temperature inside your grill, making it a great option for any kind of cooking. The durable plated steel cooking grate is easy to clean and retains heat well, so you can get back to grilling in no time.
4. Weber Jumbo Joe Small Charcoal Grill 18 Inch Black
- Ideal for picnics, tailgating, or camping, the Weber Jumbo Joe Small Charcoal Grill is perfect for grilling up to eight burgers at a time. This grill is compact and lightweight, making it easy to take with you wherever you go. The porcelain-enameled lid and bowl retain heat and won’t rust or peel.
- The Tuck-N-Carry lid lock doubles as a lid holder so you can avoid placing the lid on the ground. Dampers allow you to easily control the temperature inside your grill. 3D interactive assembly instructions for this product are available through the free BILT app.
5. Weber 15401001 Performer Premium Small Charcoal Grill, 22-Inch, Black
- The Weber 15401001 Performer Premium Small Charcoal Grill is perfect for burger lovers who want the perfect grilling experience. With 363 square inches of cooking space, it fits up to 13 burgers at once. The One-Touch cleaning system with a high-capacity ash catcher makes ash cleanup a breeze, while the porcelain-enameled lid and bowl retain heat and won’t rust or peel.
- The cooking grate is compatible with GBS inserts and is hinged for easily adding charcoal while grilling. And when you’re done cooking, the built-in lid thermometer and removable backlit LCD cook timer ensure precise results.
6. Weber 741001 Original Kettle 22-Inch Small Charcoal Grill
- The Weber 741001 Original Kettle 22-Inch Small Charcoal Grill is the perfect option for those who love to grill. With a cooking area of 322 square inches, it can easily accommodate up to 13 burgers at once, making it perfect for small gatherings or family meals.
- The One-Touch cleaning system makes ash cleanup a breeze, and the porcelain-enameled lid and bowl keep heat in and won’t rust or peel. Plus, the dampers allow you to easily control the temperature inside your grill, so you can cook your food just the way you like it.
7. Oklahoma Joe’s 19402088 Rambler Portable Small Charcoal Grill
- If you’re looking for a durable, reliable, and easy-to-use small charcoal grill, the Oklahoma Joe’s 19402088 Rambler Portable Grill is a perfect choice. With its heavy-duty steel construction and adjustable charcoal tray, you can customize your grilling experience to get the perfect sear every time.
- And with its large air dampers, you’ll be able to regulate the airflow for accurate cooking control. Plus, the full-size removable ash pan makes clean-up a breeze. So if you’re looking for a compact grill that can handle any cooking challenge, the Oklahoma Joe’s Rambler Portable Grill is a perfect choice.
8. Kamado Joe KJ23RHC Classic Joe II Small Charcoal Grill
- The Kamado Joe Classic II is a must-have for any backyard cook. This premium 18-inch ceramic grill comes equipped with an iron cart and locking casters. It also includes one of our amazing cast iron kiddie carts so you can easily carry all your food over to the parents’ or friends’ house after grilling it outdoors on their property too.
- The 2-Tier Divide & Conquer is a revolutionary cooking system that will change the way you cook. With this innovative design, different food can be cooked at different temperatures on top of each other and in various styles for an unlimited number of possibilities to satisfy any appetite.
- The Kontrol Tower Top Vent is a Dual-adjustment, rain-resistant top vent that allows you to smoke from 225F all the way up in searing heat. It’s made of powder-coated aluminum for durability and has been patented by its inventors who want it kept out there so everyone can enjoy this great feature.
- With the Patented Air Lift Hinge, you can reduce weight by over 90% and enjoy a more comfortable grilling experience. The removable ash catcher keeps things clean on your grill or smoker without sacrificing any style points.
9. Dyna-Glo DGD381BNC-D Compact Small Charcoal Grill
- This Dyna-Glo DGD381BNC-D Compact Small Charcoal Grill is the perfect size for smaller backyard get-togethers. The 381 square inches primary cooking area provides more than enough space to cook up a meal for your friends and family, while the 165 square inches secondary cooking area ensures that there’s plenty of space for all their sides and desserts.
- The grill also comes with porcelain enameled steel cooking grates, which help to transfer heat directly to your food, ensuring that it cooks evenly and tastes great. Plus, the adjustment crank lets you customize the cooking temperature to your liking, so you can always have the perfect grilled meal.
10. Cuisinart CCG190RB Inch Portable BBQ Small Charcoal Grill
- The 150-square inch chrome-plated cooking grate provides the user with an ample amount of space to cook large quantities of food at one time. The spacious size also means that they can evenly distribute heat while still getting great results.
- The new Char-Griller 338 convection barbecue features a dual venting system that allows air to flow through the charcoal, while also preventing fumes from entering your house. It has three secure lid locks for safe transport and an easy-grip handle on top so you can take it anywhere as needed.
- The Camping Chef Stowaway Grill is a lightweight grill that measures 14 x 14 inches and weighs just 2 pounds! Ideal for transporting, campgrounds, or tailgating this compact design makes it easy to bring your outdoor cooking with you on the go. It features an enamel-coated firebox and convenient mess-free ash catcher so you can enjoy safe BBQ while not worrying about cleaning up afterward.
11. Weber 441001 Original Kettle 18 in Small Charcoal Grill, Black
- The Weber 441001 Original Kettle 18 in Small Charcoal Grill was made with your outdoor cooking needs in mind. This grill is perfect for smaller meals, like nine burgers at a time, and the porcelain-enameled lid and bowl keep the heat in and prevent rust or peeling.
- The one-touch cleaning system makes ash cleanup easy, and the dampers let you easily control the temperature inside your grill. Plus, the durable plated steel cooking grate is easy to clean. You’ll love this grill for all of your outdoor cooking needs.
12. Weber 14516001 Master-Touch Small Charcoal Grill, Deep Ocean Blue
- The Weber 14516001 Master-Touch Small Charcoal Grill is perfect for anyone who loves to grill. This grill is small enough to fit on any patio, but still has plenty of cooking space to make up to 13 burgers at once.
- The cooking grate is hinged, making it easy to add charcoal while grilling, and the tool hooks provide a place to hang your grilling tools. The built-in lid thermometer displays your grilled internal temperature, so you can always ensure that your food is cooked perfectly.
Tips and guide to buying the best Small Charcoal Grill
Small Charcoal Grills are a great choice if you want to smoke your food. They’re also easier and cheaper than gas grills, but don’t let that first impression fool ya. Before heading out shopping for one of these little beauties make sure to consider what exactly is important in a Charcoal Grill:
This is probably the most important factor when choosing a Small Charcoal Grill. How much food do you plan on cooking at once? If you’re only cooking for yourself or a small group then a small grill should do just fine. But if you want to cook for a large crowd, you’ll need something with a greater cooking area size.
How often do you plan on using your Small Charcoal Grill? Will you be taking it to picnics, tailgates, or other events? If so, you’ll want to make sure that it’s portable enough to be easily transported. Some grills come with carrying cases or straps which makes them much easier to take with you wherever you go.
Ease of Use
Some Small Charcoal Grills are a bit more complicated to set up and use than others. If you’re not very experienced with grilling or if you don’t want to have to spend a lot of time getting your grill ready before cooking, then you’ll want to look for one that is easy to use.
Grills can be made from a variety of materials including metal, plastic, or wood. Metal grills are the most common and tend to be the most durable. Plastic grills are usually lightweight and easier to move around, but they may not last as long as metal grills. Wood grills are the least common type, but they do offer a more traditional grilled flavor.
For ease of use, a hinged grate is one of the best features to look for when shopping for your Small Charcoal Grill. This feature allows you to easily add fuel or rearrange wood chips without having to move or flip over the entire cooking surface.
A warming rack or shelf is a great feature to have on your Small Charcoal Grill. This allows you to keep food warm while you’re cooking other items or to place cooked food on so it will stay warm until you’re ready to serve it.
An ash catcher is a handy feature to have on your Small Charcoal Grill. This helps to keep your grill clean by catching all of the ashes and debris that fall through the cooking grates. This makes cleanup much easier and helps to prevent fires.
Electronic Gas Ignition
An electronic gas ignition feature makes lighting your grill quick and easy. This eliminates the need to use a charcoal starter fluid, which can be dangerous if you accidentally drip some on hot coals.
A fire dampener is a great feature for safety. It controls airflow so that you can maintain cooking temperatures without making the heat too high or blowing sparks around where they could cause a fire or burn someone.
Two-way Hinged Lid
Having two hinged sections on your lid is another handy feature for easier access to your food. You can open it like traditional Small Charcoal Grills, but this allows you to also lift up one side of the lid when you’re adding food or putting cooked items in.
FAQs about a Small Charcoal Grill
How can I choose the right size of Small Charcoal Grill for me?
To choose the perfect-sized grill, you should consider how much food you plan on cooking at once. For smaller grills, one or two hamburger patties are about all that will fit comfortably. For larger grills, it’s best to cook in batches so as not to overcrowd your grill because this can lead to food being steamed instead of grilled.
Can I use my Small Charcoal Grill for smoking meat?
Yes! Smoked BBQ is delicious and with a proper setup, you can easily smoke ribs or brisket on your charcoal grill. The main drawback to using a Charcoal Grill for smoking is that they’re generally designed without vents to control airflow which can make it difficult to maintain a low and steady smoking temperature.
How much should I expect to pay for a good Small Charcoal Grill?
There are expensive grills that can cost $500 or more, but there are also high-quality options in the $100-$200 range. Cheap grills tend to be smaller and less durable than quality options. The main drawback of higher-priced grills is that they’re more expensive to ship.
What features should I look for when buying a Small Charcoal Grill?
There are several features that can make grilling more convenient which you may want to consider, such as a thermometer so you know the temperature at all times and an ash catcher to make cleanup easier. Other useful extras include a lid-mounted onto hinges for easy access and a warming shelf so you can keep food warm until you’re ready to eat.
Can I use my Small Charcoal Grill in the rain?
Most charcoal grills are not designed to be used when it’s raining because this could cause problems with your fuel source. If you must use your charcoal grill in the rain, be sure that it is set up on a stable, level surface and that there is plenty of ventilation. Also, be very careful when adding fuel to the grill in wet conditions as this can easily lead to a fire.
A charcoal grill can be a great addition to your outdoor cooking arsenal, but it’s important to choose the right one for your needs. Be sure to consider the size of the grill, the features you want, and how much you’re willing to spend. With a little research, you can find the perfect small charcoal grill for your backyard.
You have come to the right place if you are looking for a great small charcoal grill. We have reviewed 12 awesome products that will surely meet your needs and expectations, all at different price points! If one of these grills doesn’t suit your tastes or budget then we recommend heading back over to our homepage where there is plenty more to choose from. All in all, this article should provide some excellent inspiration on how you can up your game when it comes time for BBQ season. So what are you waiting for? Buy now the best products we have shared above for a great experience.