In this post, we’ll be giving you a recipe for slow cooker Tilapia. This dish may seem a little plain when you’re reading the list of ingredients, but it is actually incredibly flavorful and healthy. This recipe is simple enough to whip up any night of the week as a weeknight dinner or an easy lunch meal. By adding some teriyaki sauce to your tilapia, you can have a delicious and simple dish in no time! And don’t worry, this recipe only has six ingredients that are easy to find.
Very simple slow cooker tilapia recipe
Ingredients for slow cooker Tilapia
Okay, let’s take a look at the ingredients you’ll need to make this dish:
- Tilapia fillets (roughly 2 lbs.).
- Teriyaki sauce.
- Red onion.
- Garlic cloves, minced.
- Soy sauce.
- Brown sugar.
As you can see from the list, this dish doesn’t have a lot of ingredients, which is good for those with very little time to prepare dinner. You’ll also find that this dish is incredibly healthy because tilapia contains no cholesterol and is a good source of protein.
Maybe you don’t know: Lemon garlic cream sauce recipe
Instructions for slow cooker Tilapia
To get started, you’ll need to prepare your onion and garlic. This is simple, as you just need to slice them and place them in the slow cooker. Now for the fish, a tilapia fillet is one of the most common types of fish found in grocery stores.
- Step 1: Slice Onion.
- Step 2: Slice Garlic.
- Once you’ve prepared your onions and garlic, all that’s left is to put your fish in the slow cooker. When we said this recipe was simple, we meant it! All that you need to do now is add the remainder of your ingredients, which will help the fish to cook, and soak up all of the flavors from the teriyaki sauce.
- Step 3: Place Fish in Slow Cooker: After adding everything to your slow cooker, all that’s left is for you to turn it on and wait for dinner! This dish can be cooked on a low setting for 6 hours or on a high setting for 3 hours.
- Step 4: Turn Slow Cooker On Once your fish is done, it will be flaking easily and you’re ready to serve! To serve, place your fish on a plate, and then top with your cilantro and red onion. You can serve this with brown rice for a healthy meal that’ll fill you up!
For those who are wondering, I would say that the amounts of ingredients I included in this recipe are pretty standard. You’ll want to have enough so that the fish doesn’t burn or become too dried out. You always want to err on the healthier side, so the fish shouldn’t burn.
Instructions for slow cooker Tilapia
Tips & tricks for slow cooker Tilapia
- When your fish is nearly done, take the lid off of the slow cooker and use a spoon to baste it with the juices from the slow cooker. This will give it more flavor and keep it moist.
- Do not overcook your fish! You should never consider tilapia completely cooked because you can always cook it longer if you need to.
- If you wish to use this as an entree on your meal plan, you can pair it with brown rice or quinoa!
- The key to tasting good fried fish is to use a quality oil in which it won’t burn very quickly, and to not over fry it. Use very high heat, to about 375 degrees, and monitor the fish for browning with the oil. You will want to carefully pull it out of the pan and let it cool on a paper towel to avoid burning your oil.
- The cooking time listed assumes you have a low setting on your slow cooker. If you are cooking on high, double the time listed.
Useful knowledge for you: How to bake chicken breast in foil?
Combine with brown rice is a good idea
By the end of this post, I hope you’ve learned a little bit more about slow cooker tilapia. If you still aren’t sure what kind of fish tilapia is, I recommend that you read our article about the health benefits of tilapia! You’ll soon learn that this fish is very similar to salmon – but without the unhealthy fats and cholesterol that can be found in salmon.
Alex Johnson is currently a restaurateur in New York. He used to trade in kitchen equipment products, so he understands this field very well. Besides, the culinary knowledge he shares is also extremely useful because he has his own restaurant.