Bake chicken breast in foil is one of the most common dishes for a beginner cook to try. If you are unfamiliar with this dish, it is usually baked in the oven with a few spices and low-fat mayonnaise which has traditionally been used as a baste or covered in foil. The spices and glaze are added, but it can be cooked without these additions if desired. A chicken breast cut into strips should take about 30 minutes when baking in foil. You can also use breasts whole – just increase the cooking time accordingly.
Bake chicken breast in foil
Nutritious delicacies: Ham and cheese stuffed chicken breast recipe
Ingredients for baked chicken breast in foil
- 2-3 chicken breasts, (cooked or uncooked, depending on what you are using).
- For cooking, 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt or seasoning salt of your choice.
- Cooking spray (or use a bit of olive oil if you don’t have any cooking spray).
Ingredients for the Glaze: (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise.
- 1/8 cup of teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, or low-sodium soy sauce.
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
Ingredients for the Glaze
Instructions for bake chicken breast in foil
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips or whole pieces as desired, depending on how you will be using them. Some people like to use chicken breasts whole and bake them in foil as they prefer the taste of the entire chicken breast. Some people prefer to use cut-up pieces especially if they are using them for a salad. If you do use pieces, separate each strip of meat with about an inch of space between them for faster cooking but still keeping it moist.
- Spray a piece of aluminum foil with cooking spray and arrange the strips or whole pieces in a single layer on top of the aluminum foil.
- Now add in all of the seasonings, place a bit of olive oil and then add about 1/8 cup of water to help keep the chicken tender. If you are using chicken that has already been cooked, you can leave this step out, but if you are using uncooked chicken make sure to cover it tightly with the aluminum foil and lightly spray cooking spray on top of the foil.
- Now simply bake the chicken breast in the oven at 200 degrees for approximately half an hour and check on it periodically until it is done.
- When finished, remove from heat and let cool before opening foil carefully so that condensation doesn’t drip on your food (use a potholder).
- Once cool, place the fattier end of the foil over a plate and turn it upside down to drain the condensation from the foil into the plate.
- Open it carefully as you don’t want any spills on your food or yourself.
- After you remove the chicken from foil, cut it into strips so they are easier to eat and store for later use or leave whole for salad eating. You can also fry or saute them in a pan when desired and add your favorite seasonings also in cooked form, not just raw/shredded on top of salads as well.
Cut the chicken into strips
Maybe you don’t know: Creamy garlic chicken penne pasta recipe
Cooking notes for bake chicken breast in foil
- Chicken breasts that are cooked or uncooked will have a different temperature when cooking than normal raw chicken breasts because it already has some meat on it. When using uncooked chicken, adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- When using raw chicken, make sure to cook it through to 165 degrees and make sure not to overcook or dry out the meat so that meat remains moist and tender.
- The only downside to using this method for baking chicken is that you don’t get the crunch and the browning of a chicken if you had baked it in the oven or pan-fried it in oil.
- If you want, you can use some paprika or chili powder to add a bit of heat to make up for the crispy/browning texture.
- You can also sprinkle spices on top of the chicken or use a marinade before placing it into the foil.
- You can also baste the chicken with a marinade or sauce as well depending on what you are using the chicken breast for.
- You can simply use olive oil to baste the chicken like the traditional method of using glaze, but you will not be able to get as much caramelization on top of your chicken as you would with glaze or a sauce gave that it’s there for longer periods of time.
- A great tip is to dice up some of the chicken after it has been cooked and use it with your favorite salad or pasta dish. You can also use the chicken in your favorite casseroles, stir-frys, or other foods that you like.
- Omit to add water if you are using extremely low-fat, low sodium marinade, condiment, or sauce as a base for this recipe so that the chicken doesn’t become dry.
- Don’t forget to always use low-fat or no-oil mayonnaise and not full-fat mayonnaise for basting as full-fat mayo has too much fat to be useful in this recipe.
Add seasonings and sauces to dishes
Some questions about bake chicken breast in foil
Can you use this method with boneless/skinless chicken breasts?
Yes, you can use boneless/skinless chicken breasts in this method for baking. You can also use whole chickens or any kind of chicken breast to bake as I described above.
Can you make the oven hotter?
Yes, you may cook the foil in the oven at a higher temperature if you wish, but be careful so that it doesn’t burn and your food does not get dried out.
Why is the chicken dry if I cook it in foil in the oven?
If you are cooking raw chicken as I described earlier, make sure to baste with a sauce or marinade before and check it from time to time to prevent overcooking and drying out of the meat.
Can you use salt instead of season salt?
Yes, you can use any type of salt that you prefer for this recipe. You can also add more pepper if you want. When choosing a seasoning for a chicken breast, make sure it is low salt so that your food does not become too salty when finished baking with foil in the oven or on the stovetop.
Can you use different seasonings such as pepper, paprika and chili powder instead of salt?
Yes, you can use pepper, paprika, or chili powder instead of salt. However, you may want to add more salt so that the chicken doesn’t become too salty when finished baking in foil in the oven or stovetop.
Can I use the low-fat marinade for this method?
Yes, you can use a low-fat marinade for this method. And don’t forget to look at the ingredients on the label and choose one that has no added fat.
Use fat sauce for this dish
If oil were to be used in place of water, would it work?
Yes, you can use oil instead of water for this method. However, make sure the oil is not too hot as it could cause the food to get overdone so that the chicken remains moist and tender during baking.
Can you use other seasonings such as salt/pepper and paprika or chili powder?
Yes, you can use oils or seasonings such as salt/pepper and paprika or chili powder.
Bake chicken breast in foil is a great and easy way to prepare a chicken breast for later use. This method of baking the chicken breasts in foil helps to retain moisture and tenderness so that it is moist, tender, and delicious. There are many different ways you can change up this recipe so that you don’t get bored with it.