In this post, I will show you how to make chicken teriyaki on sticks. It’s really easy to make but it does take a little bit of time, so don’t get frustrated if your first attempt doesn’t work out well. The recipe is for about 8-10 sticks with each stick being about 2 servings each so if you want more just double or triple the recipe depending on how many people you’re cooking for and whether or not they will be standing over the stove at any one time helping you cook the chicken teriyaki on sticks themselves.
Chicken teriyaki on sticks is an easy dish to make
Ingredients for chicken teriyaki on sticks
- chicken Breast [cut into long strips about 2 inches by 1 inch].
- Teriyaki sauce [wate r, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and onion powder].
- tofu [cut into triangles or squares (optional)].
- cooking oil [I used corn oil because it is healthier than using regular oil but you can use whatever kind you like].
Useful knowledge for you: Can you eat chicken left out overnight?
Directions for chicken teriyaki on sticks
- Heat up a frying pan. It doesn’t really matter if it’s nonstick or not. Just make sure it’s big enough to hold all of the chicken teriyaki on sticks you’re making.
- While the frying pan is heating up put your chicken strips in a freezer bag.
- Once the frying pan is hot fill the bag with chicken strips with cooking oil until there is about an inch from the top of the bag that will not be covered with cooking oil. Seal it and then shake it so all of the chicken strips are covered with cooking oil. This will prevent them from burning while they’re frying.
- Once you’ve done that, pour the bag of chicken and oil into the frying pan and fry them for about 5-8 minutes. Keep turning them so they don’t burn on one side or become too brown to eat on another side.
- When they’re done add the teriyaki sauce to the pan and stir it in so all of the chicken is coated with teriyaki sauce.
- Then remove them to a plate and let them cool down for about 5-10 minutes. You can serve them, or you can eat them right out of the pan. Or you can use a spatula to remove some of them from the frying pan and put them on a plate so they won’t stick together if you want to keep eating them on the same plate.
- If you want to put tofu on your sticks add the tofu before you put the chicken in the frying pan and then cook it with the chicken. I added the tofu to my sticks right before I removed them from the frying pan so that it would be warm when I was done cooking.
- To serve the chicken teriyaki on sticks put them on a plate and pile them up together so they’re all on one plate. Then pour any leftover teriyaki sauce from the pan over them. You can also add some extra sauce on top of them if you want to make it taste even more like chicken teriyaki on a stick.
Put the chicken teriyaki on sticks on the plate
You can eat the sticks with your hands, or you can use chopsticks to eat the sticks if you want to be fancy about it.
Tips & tricks for chicken teriyaki on sticks
- You can make chicken teriyaki on sticks in a frying pan or a wok but make sure it has a lid so you can steam the chicken while cooking it so it doesn’t dry out.
- You can use other meat besides chicken if you want. Beef and pork both work really well. I’ve also seen people using turkey when they’re trying to be healthy.
- If you don’t like onions or garlic or ginger you can leave them out of the teriyaki sauce and it will still taste really good but I think that any kind of fruit or vegetable is usually better with onions, garlic, and ginger.
- You can also make chicken teriyaki on a stick in the oven if you just want to keep it warm till you’re ready to eat it.
- You can use other sauces besides teriyaki sauce for your chicken teriyaki on sticks. I’ve seen people using bbq sauce or honey or even just dipping them directly in barbecue sauce or honey.
- These will keep fresh in the fridge for about 1-2 days, depending on how fast your refrigerator works and whether or not they’re kept sealed properly.
- You can also fry the chicken strips without making them into a bag so you don’t have to cook it all at once if you’re just heating it up for one or two people. Instead, heat up the frying pan and add whatever number of strips you want to use. Then put all of the strips in a bowl and whatever liquid is left in the bowl after draining the leftover cooking oil out will make a teriyaki sauce that you can use on your chicken teriyaki on sticks.
- You can also dip bread or crackers into any leftover sauce unless you want to get it all over yourself if you’re eating with your hands.
Maybe you don’t know: Ingredients for slow cooker ranch chicken
Served with chicken teriyaki on sticks with rice
Chicken teriyaki on sticks is a tasty dish that you can serve to anyone for lunch or dinner as long as they like chicken or whatever kind of meat you’re using. They’ll be full and happy after eating them and will probably ask you to make them again sometime. You can use the recipe above to experiment with different kinds of meat and sauces so that it tastes just how you like it best.
Brendan Roberts is a writer, photographer, and editor for Food 4 Kitchen. He is always eager to share useful knowledge with everyone. He graduated with a degree in journalism from Northwestern University in 2016 and now lives with his wife.