Salmon with lemon garlic cream sauce is a delicious recipe that is easy to prepare and even easier on the wallet. This dish usually takes no more than 15 minutes to make, and it can be ready in under 30 minutes. This dish is perfect for any occasion, including dinner parties or home dinners with friends and family, as well as a weekend meal. This recipe also uses ingredients that are commonly found at your local grocery stores, such as lemons and garlic. Salmon with lemon garlic cream sauce also adds in some cream cheese for an extra tangy flavor.
Salmon with lemon garlic cream sauce
Ingredients for salmon with lemon garlic cream sauce
- 3 lemons (use the juice of 1 lemon).
- 3 cloves of garlic (use the juice of ½ a lei/clove).
- 1 lb fresh salmon fillets, skin, and pin bones removed.
- ½ cup heavy cream.
- ½ cup sour cream.
- 8 oz cream cheese (such as Philadelphia), softened.
Instructions for salmon with lemon garlic cream sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, stir together lemon juice and garlic and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat together the heavy cream and sour cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside, along with the sour cream mixture.
- In a small mixing bowl beat together the softened cream cheese with the lemon juice/garlic mixture until smooth; set aside as well.
- In a baking pan, dish out salmon fillet(s) and place the pan in your oven.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the fish turns pink and flakes easily with a fork.
- Remove fish from the oven, cut into large chunks, and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a serving dish, combine the sour cream mixture with lemon garlic mixture and stir until smooth, then add in salmon and gently toss to mix well.
- Serve with veggies of choice (will be added to the article).
Instructions for salmon with lemon garlic cream sauce
Cooking notes for salmon with lemon garlic cream sauce
- Use fresh salmon fillets.
- If using canned salmon, use water as the liquid instead of heavy cream to make a smooth sauce.
- To thicken the sauce, simply add in some cornstarch until it reaches desired consistency (use sparingly). Adding cornstarch is needed if using canned salmon, otherwise you can skip this step and cook the salmon just long enough so it will turn pink and flakes easily with a fork when cooled in the pan.
- This dish is best served with veggies, such as asparagus or green beans, and some type of starch for a side like mashed potatoes.
- Also, feel free to add in some capers or olives on the side for a little extra kick if you’d like.
- For the cream sauce, try using a mixture of sour cream and heavy cream instead of just sour cream or all sour cream, since the heavy cream will thicken up more than the sour cream without adding any extra fat.
- Heat the cream cheese all the way through in order to get a nice smooth sauce.
- The garlic and lemon juice can be added to the cream cheese instead of before making the sauce as well, but you will need more lemon juice and garlic if you are using it together with lemon garlic cream sauce.
- If the dish is too thick after being mixed, simply add in some water until desired consistency is achieved (although adding too many extra calories will be more than likely).
- If thicken in step 6 for too long, feel free to add some water back in as well to thin out and reach desired consistency.
Add garlic to the cream sauce
Some questions about salmon with lemon garlic cream sauce
What type of salmon works best for this recipe?
Dry skin on salmon or salmon steaks to get the best results. The sauce will thicken up more when using skin-on salmon. If using canned salmon, use water instead of heavy cream to make the sauce for more sauce and less thickened-up food.
Does this dish contain any trans fats?
No, this dish does not contain any trans fats, but some types of fish, such as tuna and sardines can be a source of it. Some fish can be very high in mercury/aluminum content that may also be a concern for those who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Is this dish a healthy food?
This recipe is very healthy and can be a good dish to eat for dinner or for lunch as well since it is packed with lots of protein and antioxidants. This dish will satisfy your appetite but not leave you feeling overly full for hours after eating.
Does this dish have any calories?
Per serving, this dish has an average of around 200 calories per serving. Each salmon fillet will have around 65 calories on each piece (based on fish weighing around 4 oz.). However, the cream cheese used in the sauce will add another 20 calories that are not accounted for in the nutrition information thus making the final calculation more like 260 calories per serving.
Per serving, this dish averages about 200 calories
What kind of servings does this dish make?
This recipe will serve anywhere from 4 to 6 people, depending on the hunger of each person.
What is in this dish?
This recipe uses fresh salmon, lemons, garlic, and cream cheese. Additional ingredients may be added to the dish for flavor and texture, but it is not required for a tasty meal since salmon with lemon garlic cream sauce has a creamy texture and tangy taste without any added ingredients.
Who would like this recipe?
Anybody who enjoys fish or seafood that is easy to prepare and tastes good would love this dish.
Who would not like this dish?
If you do not like seafood or fish, I would highly recommend not trying this dish unless you try the salmon cold and see if you even like it due to the strong flavor of garlic.
How much time does it take to make each serving?
It depends on how much each person will eat and how hungry they are, but it should take around 20-30 minutes to make one serving once the salmon fillets are defrosted and flaked. The sauce will be the most time-consuming part to prepare.
Salmon with lemon garlic cream sauce is a simple dish that can be made with fresh salmon, which is less expensive and healthier than other types of fish. This recipe makes 4 servings but is best served with veggies for a main dish.