The slow cooker has been around since the 1970s and appears to be on its deathbed, but it’s making a return. Slow cookers are functional; they’re easy-to-use with an attractive design that can save you time when cooking at home or while out of town for work. The programmable models also offer some real-time savers because we know some people who may not always have full attention available during their busy days so this type will allow them more freedom than ever before regarding what meal needs preparing next depending upon how much free time one might otherwise spend waiting by stovetops.
The best slow cooker can save a whole lot of time and effort in the kitchen. Slow cookers are an excellent invention, creating delicious meals like stew or pot roast to list just two examples! If you truly wish to take your cooking skills up another level there’s no better way than investing in one for yourself.
Slow cookers are one of the most convenient appliances you can own. They’re also a great way to save money and eat healthier because they allow you to prepare nutritious meals that taste like they’ve been cooking all day long, but were actually prepared in just a few hours. If you’re interested in learning more about slow cookers, here is an extensive guide on how to select the best slow cooker for your needs as well as some helpful tips on using them.
List of 12 Best Slow Cookers Reviews
1. Hamilton Beach 3-Quart Slow Cooker With Dishwasher-Safe Crock & Lid
- This slow cooker is the perfect size for cooking a 3-pound chicken or roast. It can be used on either low heat and will maintain an ideal temperature while it cooks, so you don’t have to worry about overcooking your food.
- This 3-quart slow cooker is not just for the oven and microwave. It also has a removable stoneware crock that you can use to cook your delicious meals.
- This 3-quart slow cooker has a removable stoneware crock and glass lid that are dishwasher safe, making it easy work of removing stubborn food. The sleek black finish puts a modern spin on this classic kitchen tool.
2. De’Longhi Livenza Programmable Slow Cooker with Stovetop-Safe Pot
- The removable stovetop-safe pot is perfect for searing, braising, and sautéing your food in the oven before removing it. Then all that’s left to do is transfer them over onto a cozy dining surface.
- The new and improved Kitchen digital makes cooking easier than ever. The intuitive design allows users to choose their desired temperature setting, followed by how long they would like the appliance to cook at that specific heat level before switching over to another programmable function or simply leaving it running unattended for up to 24 hours.
- This oven is a precision cooking control at its best. The ExacTemp technology guarantees that the food you cook will come out perfectly with precisely regulated temperature settings, all thanks to this amazing innovation.
- With the exclusive recipe app and no need for additional pots or pans, this slow cooker will be your one and only pot. 25 recipes designed exclusively to add more variety to family meals.
3. Crock-Pot 8 Quart Manual Slow Cooker with 16 Oz Little Dipper Food Warmer
- The Crock-Pot 8 Quart Manual Slow Cooker with 16 Oz Little Dipper Food Warmer is the perfect way to cook a meal for your large family or group of friends. The 8-quart capacity means there’s plenty of room to cook a hearty meal, and the automatic warming feature keeps food at the perfect temperature until it’s ready to be served.
- Plus, the included Little Dipper food warmer is perfect for keeping appetizers and small plates warm. The removable stoneware and glass lid are dishwasher-safe, so clean-up is easy.
4. West Bend 87905 Versatility Slow Cooker Large Capacity
- Get ready for some slow-cooking action with the West Bend Versatility Cooker! Whether you’re cooking up a delicious meal and want something light, or are throwing an epic backyard BBQ that will impress your guests – this versatile cooker can do it all.
- The large capacity 5 Quart cooking vessel features a non-stick interior and is safe for use in the oven, on top of a stove, or in your refrigerator. It can be used to make all kinds of meals thanks to its durable exterior material that withstands high temperatures too.
- The GridDle Base makes it easy to slow cook your food without sacrificing the ease of watching what’s happening in its final stages. I love using mine for making pancakes, grilled cheese sandwiches, and more! It also has a glass cover so you can keep an eye on things as they finish up cooking without getting too close or touching any parts that may be hot from direct contact with a flame source.
5. Hamilton Beach 33866 Portable 6-Quart Set Slow Cooker
- You can use the integrated temperature probe to make sure your food is cooked perfectly. This will minimize any chances of over-or undercooking, which could lead to safety hazards in some cases such as when cooking beef, pork, and poultry for example.
- The slow cooker has a variety of functions to make your life easier. It can cook on low, medium, or high with the probe, when food is ready you get great-tasting dishes that are always at just about the perfect temperature.
- The Sous Vide Programmer is versatile enough to do it all. You can make yogurt, poaching eggs, and other dishes with the hold temperature function that lets you cook at any desired temperature for hours on end without burning them up or overcooking them.
- This 6-quart digital timer is perfect for cooking large batches of food. It displays the time left and will switch between display modes when you are using it as a temperature gauge or Countdown Timer with an option to have your meal cooked at exactly 180 degrees Fahrenheit/80 Celsius.
6. Crock-Pot 8-Quart Multi-Use XL Express Crock Programmable Slow Cooker
- The sleek and stylish Black Stainless Edition of the Express Crock is perfect for elevating your kitchen décor. With an 8-quart pot capacity, this programmable multi-cooker can cook meals for 10 people or less than half an hour on average compared to traditional cooking methods.
- The Instant Pot is the perfect cooking appliance for anyone who wants to save time and effort. It’s got a variety of functions, including slow cookers that can take hours off your meal prep.
- Foodies, rejoice! This new pressure cooker is the perfect tool for your next meal. It lets you choose between high or low heat and program in any cooking time – from 10 minutes all the way down to 1 hour so that no matter what dish needs finishing up at home, there’s always an option with Manual Pressure.
- Designed with a pressure-sealing lid that stays closed under high levels of vacuum and an automatic delay start timer, this warming countertop food warmer will keep your dishes hot for hours on end.
- The multipurpose nonstick pot is the perfect cookware for one-pot meals. The dishwasher-safe material ensures your clean-up will be quick and easy, while all of our accessories make it even easier to prepare tasty food without having to dirty another pan or bowl.
7. KitchenAid KSC6223SS 6-Qt. Slow Cooker with Standard Lid
- Slow cookers are one of the most underrated appliances in any kitchen. They can do everything from melting cheese on top of a dish to cooking an entire meal overnight.
- This KitchenAid slow cooker is perfect for anyone who wants to make delicious dishes without spending all day in the kitchen. With 6 quarts of cooking space, you can easily make a large batch of your favorite slow cooker recipe.
- The 24-hour programmability also allows you to set it and forget it, so you can come home to a hot, cooked meal. And if that’s not enough, the automatic keep-warm mode will ensure that your food stays warm until you’re ready to eat it.
8. Crockpot SCV700-KC Slow Cooker, 7 quarts, Charcoal
- The Crockpot SCV700-KC Slow Cooker is perfect for anyone who wants to have a delicious, homecooked meal without having to spend all day in the kitchen. This slow cooker has a 7-quart capacity, so it’s great for cooking for large groups.
- It also has high/low cook settings and a warm setting, so you can easily prepare your food however you want. The removable oval stoneware is also dishwasher-safe, making cleanup a breeze. Plus, the polished silver, stainless steel exterior, and black accents are sure to complement any kitchen decor.
9. Hamilton Beach 7-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker
- The Hamilton Beach 7 quart capacity slow cooker will help you feed a crowd with ease. It’s sized to fit either one chicken or five pounds of roast, so it can be used at home for family dinners as well as potlucks and parties.
- Mix and match the perfect cooking temperature for your dish with this versatile slow cooker that can handle high, low, or warm foods. No need to watch it; when the timer goes off after cooking time has ended – the machine automatically shifts into a warming mode.
- Make your kitchen look like a gourmet cook’s dream with the Crock-Pot Smart or Slow cooker. With its removable stoneware crock and glass lid, this product can go from stovetop to dishwasher without worrying about getting dirty.
10. All-Clad SD700350 Slow Cooker, 7 Quart, Silver
- The All-Clad SD700350 Slow Cooker is the perfect appliance for busy families who want to enjoy home-cooked meals without spending hours in the kitchen. This slow cooker has four cooking modes, each of which can be set to run for up to 26 hours, so you can prepare your food on your own schedule.
- The large 7-quart capacity ensures that there’s plenty of room to cook a meal for the whole family, and the intuitive LCD digital screen and large push-button controls make it easy to operate.
- The smooth aluminum insert is easy to clean and safe for dishwashing, while the stainless-steel lid traps heat and moisture inside, ensuring that your food stays warm and doesn’t get dry or cold.
11. Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker, Extra Large 10 Quart
- The Hamilton Beach 10 Quart Slow Cooker is the perfect appliance for feeding a large crowd. Whether you’re cooking a turkey or a roast, this slow cooker has the capacity to handle it. Plus, with three temperature settings and a clip-tight sealed lid, your meal will stay safely inside until it’s time to serve.
- The full-grip handles make it easy to carry your food from kitchen to potluck or tailgate party – without spilling a drop. And when you’re done, the stoneware crock and glass lid are dishwasher safe so cleanup is a breeze.
12. Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S-A 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker
- The Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S-A 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker is perfect for busy families who are always on the go. This slow cooker has a digital countdown control that lets you program cook times anywhere from 30 minutes up to 20 hours, and it will automatically shift to the Warm setting when the cook time is complete.
- The locking lid features a lid gasket for an extra seal, which helps prevent messes when you’re on the go. Plus, all Crock-Pot Slow Cooker removable stone inserts can be used safely in the microwave and oven (up to 400 degrees F), so you can easily switch between cooking methods.
Tips and guide to buying the best Slow Cooker
Your slow cooker is an essential appliance in your kitchen. It’s something that should be taken care of and if anything were to happen, then it would make sense for you do not to want the same thing to happen again with this valuable tool! That’s why when buying one I recommend looking at all my other tips on how best to choose what brand/model works well based on quality materials as well as design features like warranty coverage or safety mechanisms built into them before purchase so they can last long enough without breaking down too often.
Shape and Size
The shape of a slow cooker can really make a difference in how it’s used. A round one is the most popular and you’ll typically be able to find it in sizes ranging from 1-4 quarts, although there are some that go up to 8 quarts so they can cook more at once. If you’re planning to cook for one, look instead for a smaller model. If you plan on bringing your slow cooker with you to work or tailgating, go for the smallest size possible.
The shape is also important when it comes to buying inserts like dishware or pans that fit properly and allow liquids like sauces or meats to cook more evenly. Finally, if you want to do more than just use your slow cooker to make stuffed peppers or macaroni and cheese, it’s good to know whether the insert is oven-safe or not.
There are a number of features to look for in a slow cooker. A desirable feature is a programmable timer that will keep your food warm after it’s done cooking without the risk of overcooking. In addition, most slow cookers have an automatic shutoff function that kicks in when they’ve been left unattended too long and this is a useful feature especially if you want to use your slow cooker for several hours at a time.
Another important feature is whether the lid locks or not. In most cases, it’s best to have a locking lid so that steam doesn’t leak out of the cooker and instead stays inside so foods can cook more thoroughly. The lock also prevents children from opening the cooker while it’s still on.
Programmable timers are an excellent option because you don’t have to sit around and wait for your food to be cooked, but can instead go about your day like normal knowing that the timer will switch over to warm when it’s done cooking. A removable lid is another useful feature because it makes cleaning easier and it prevents kids from burning themselves on the hot dish.
Another useful option is a “keep warm” feature. Not only does this keep your food warmer for longer, but it also allows you to remove any spills or splatters without risking getting burned as well as freeing up space in the slow cooker itself so that food can cook more thoroughly and more easily.
Material and Design
When it comes to slow cookers, their material and design can really make a difference in how they’re used. The best kind of slow cooker is the enameled cast iron type. These tend to be very durable and because of that, you won’t have to worry about them breaking down too early or rusting over time. In addition, the material only gets better as it ages.
Shop around for a slow cooker that’s made with quality materials. If you see cracks or dents in the casing of your desired model, then chances are it was produced on a budget and is likely not going to last you very long before something breaks down. Cookers that have a nonstick surface are also useful because they won’t have to be scrubbed quite so often meaning you’ll spend less time cleaning up at the end of the day.
The lid of a slow cooker can really make or break the whole deal. Basically, if you have a removable lid then your food will taste better because it’s easier to get in there and stir things up without having to worry about adding more water.
Once you know what kind of lid you want to have, focus on choosing one that locks properly and the material of the lid. They should sit securely and not be too large or small for your slow cooker.
The controls of your slow cooker are important to have because they actually allow you to cook things more quickly or slowly depending on what you need. Timers are also quite valuable, especially if you’re not always at home during the day.
Shop around for a slow cooker with digital controls that are easy to read and understand as well as used properly. Some slow cookers have controls that you have to press several times in order for them to work.
Price and Warranty
There are a number of different prices available when it comes to slow cookers. Shop around online at your local retail store as well as through online vendors, but always keep an eye on the warranty so you know what you’re paying for.
Always get the longest warranty possible because that will protect you in case your cooker breaks down after a year or two of use. Also, see if the price of the slow cooker includes things like free shipping and handling so you’ll know what you’re going to be paying for in total.
FAQs about a Slow Cooker
Do slow cookers and crock pots cook the same?
Crockpots are slow cookers, but not all slow cookers are crockpots. A crockpot is specifically for American homes and is designed to fit on top of your stove. A slow cooker however can go on the stove or in the kitchen cabinet on any heat source whether that’s a flame or an electric bass.
What Cannot be cooked in a slow cooker?
Not all foods can or should be made in a slow cooker. For example, you cannot cook rice on the lowest setting because it will burn and you cannot make yogurt by combining milk and live cultures. Sour cream, custard, bread doughs, pasta, cheese sauces, and mayonnaise do not work well with a slow cooker either.
Can I put frozen meat in a slow cooker?
Yes! In fact, this is one of the great things about using a crockpot to cook your meat as opposed to other methods such as baking or frying where you have to thaw the meat before cooking. If you’re going to be gone for 12 hours feel free to throw an entire package of frozen chicken thighs into your crockpot and walk away.
How long does it take to cook in a slow cooker?
The best thing about using a slow cooker is that you can basically put everything in there from frozen, add water and turn the temperature up all the way to 200 degrees and come home 8 hours later to cook food. This doesn’t work for every recipe you have but for soups, stews and other simple recipes that don’t need a lot of tender loving care this method works well.
Can you put raw meat in a slow cooker?
The general rule of thumb is that if you plan to cook your meat until it’s well done then you can put the entire thing in without thawing. If however, you’re cooking lower than 180 degrees or for less than 8 hours, then it’s wise to take the meat out of its package and place it on a plate in the fridge overnight so that it may be thoroughly defrosted when you start cooking at 7 AM.
There are a lot of things to think about when you decide you want to buy a new slow cooker. Whether it’s for yourself or for someone else, the tips and questions above will help you narrow down your options so that no matter what you choose, it’ll be something that lasts for years to come
We hope that you’ve found this guide helpful and it has helped to find the perfect slow cooker for your needs. If not, we have a wide variety of other great products as well as tips on how to use them all in our blog section so be sure to check those out too. Whatever type of cooking you need help with, from steaming veggies or making traditional dishes like pulled pork barbecue sandwiches, there is a product here for everyone. Let us know what you think about these best-sellers by leaving a comment below and don’t forget to share if you liked this post with friends who could benefit from it too.