Creamy lemon garlic chicken is a dish that is bursting with flavor and offers tons of room for experimentation. Lemon and garlic add a unique depth to the chicken while the creaminess from the heavy cream sauces complements all of the other flavors. It’s an easy weeknight dinner that is full of delicious, fresh flavors! Chicken breasts are pan-fried and then finished in the oven, which seals in all of the juices and makes it tender but keeps it from drying out. It is a great dish to serve for any meal or even as an appetizer at a party.
The sauce for this tasty chicken is made from heavy cream, butter, lemon juice and zest, fresh garlic cloves, fresh parsley leaves, and salt & pepper. It is a simple sauce and only takes about 10 minutes to make — that’s less time than it takes to cook the chicken! The creamy delicious sauce goes perfectly with the juicy chicken drizzled with more lemon juice.
Creamy lemon garlic chicken
Ingredients for creamy lemon garlic chicken
- The chicken breasts should be cut in half lengthwise.
- Salt & pepper.
- 3 lemon [zest and juice].
- 2 sticks of butter [melted].
- 1/2 cup heavy cream.
- 5 cloves of garlic [minced].
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves [finely chopped].
Useful knowledge for you: Cooking notes for garlic sauce for pizza
Directions to make creamy lemon garlic chicken
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise, making sure they are even-sized and slightly overlapping. Season both sides with salt & pepper to taste and set aside. [Note: a small amount of the cream may leak out as you are cooking the chicken but this is okay as it will be thickened up in the oven.]
- Using a spoon or your fingers, gently remove excess lemon juice from the lemon zest and discard [or save for another use]. [Note: you can use another citrus like limes.]
- Combine all of the prepared ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat and add 3 sticks of melted butter. Stir to combine until the butter has completely melted.
- Add chicken to the saucepan and gently toss to coat in the saucepan.
- Place into a preheated oven and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked through.
- Spoon sauce over the top of the chicken and serve warm with rice, potatoes, veggies, or anything else you would like! [Note: this is traditionally accompanied by potatoes. I think it is also great with pasta, quinoa, couscous, or rice.]
Directions to make creamy lemon garlic chicken
Cooking notes for creamy lemon garlic chicken
- Butter is better than oil for me. Butter is much more flavorful and provides a better coating for the chicken, which enhances the flavor of the dish. I also use about 3 1/2 sticks of butter in my sauce as the recipe calls for 1 1/2 sticks plus it is easy to over-handle melted butter.
- You can make this dish with any meat or even vegetables! Try it with turkey, asparagus or broccoli!
- Stuffing or bread stuffing can be substituted for rice if you are looking for something to go alongside your chicken.
- This dish is best served immediately or within a few hours of cooking. This allows the juices to remain as fresh and flavorful as possible and also keeps the garlic from becoming too strong. If you must save it for later, cover the top of your chicken with plastic wrap and store it in a container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- The recipe calls for 1/2 cup parsley but any amount can be added depending on your tastes! [Note: I like my food pretty fresh so I use at least 1/2 cup.]
- Serve the chicken with a splash of lemon juice so that it is still moist and packed with flavor.
Serve the chicken with a splash of lemon juice
Some questions about creamy lemon garlic chicken
Can I use fresh garlic instead of minced garlic?
Yes! Fresh garlic makes a huge difference in this recipe. Feel free to use fresh whole garlic cloves, but be aware that the texture will be very different. The addition of minced fresh garlic provides a nice flavor but also helps to thicken up the sauce.
Delicious esoteric recipe: Creamy garlic chicken
Is it possible to substitute basil for parsley?
Yes! Feel free to use about 1/3 cup of chopped basil instead of parsley.
What if I don’t want to make my own sauce?
If you are looking for something quick and easy, store-bought Alfredo or another saucy or creamy product can be used in its place. You can accomplish this in a number of ways, among them:
- Ragu pasta sauce.
- Creamy mushroom & spinach ravioli sauce.
- Minestrone soup.
What if I want my chicken to be thinner?
Thick-cut chicken breasts can be sliced into smaller pieces and cooked the same way. Keep an eye on it and remove it when it is fully cooked. [Note: This technique will take a little longer but will result in a juicier final product.]
What if I have leftovers?
To reheat the chicken, wrap it in foil. Place into a preheated 400-degree oven for about 10-15 minutes or until warmed through.
What if I want to make this dish entertaining?
If you are planning on serving this dish at a party, feel free to double the ingredients for the sauce as your guests will be able to help themselves from it! [Note: So no need to worry about making extra sauce.]
Creamy lemon garlic chicken is a quick and easy weeknight dinner idea with a fresh, vibrant taste that is full of flavor. It is an easy sauce to make that can be made with a variety of ingredients depending on your taste preferences. The chicken should be kept in the fridge when it is not being served for best results.