A lot of people love the flavor of teriyaki grilled pork chops because it is tangy and sweet. We’re going to show you how to make this dish in a skillet so that you can enjoy it week after week. It’s super easy and very quick, making it perfect for another day when time is short or on your busiest days.
Ingredients for teriyaki grilled pork chops
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup mirin (Japanese sweet cooking wine, available at most Asian food stores)
- 2 tsp. sesame oil 1 tbsp.
- vegetable oil mixture for the grill: 2 pork chops, sliced into 4 equal pieces Teriyaki Marinade Mix orange juice with two rounded tablespoons
Instructions for teriyaki grilled pork chops
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce, sugar, mirin, and sesame oil. Mix gently until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper then dip in the marinade mixture for 2 minutes or until it soaks in thoroughly. Press down on them to make sure they get all of the marinades into them.
- Heat up a skillet on low heat when it’s hot enough (200 degrees).
- Spray a skillet with some oil then fry the pork with 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil on each side for about 4 minutes. Flip over and do the same to the other side.
- Use the same pan to put all four pork pieces in it. Pour the marinade over the pork and bring it to a boil before lowering the heat.
- Let simmer for about 3-5 minutes, then turn off the heat and serve over rice or garnished with sesame seeds.
Let simmer for about 3-5 minutes
Serve teriyaki grilled pork chops
- In a serving dish, make a bed of rice or quinoa, and arrange the teriyaki pork over the top.
- Drizzle some of the garlic sauce(ketchup if you don’t have any) over the top and serve immediately (to keep it hot).
You can also make a whole meal of this recipe by making poached eggs on top and garnished with fresh coriander or cilantro.
See more: 18 best side dishes with pork chops: 18 best side dishes with pork chops
Teriyaki grilled pork chops tips & tricks
- Make sure the skillet you’re using does not have any scratches or noticeable wear. Used skillets can become nonstick after a few years, which will cause foods to stick to them, making them difficult to clean.
- If possible, avoid using a nonstick skillet. The coating on the pans is likely made of PTFE (Teflon), which can be toxic to health if ingested.
- Try to avoid using nonstick pans when cooking eggs. This is because the nonstick coating can also be toxic to health, so make sure to keep all eggs away from any kind of cookware before cooking.
- If you don’t have a skillet you like, use a grill pan. They’re cheaper and easier to remove clean and the same goes for the proteins you will want to grill later.
- When grilling your protein, turn it at 30 degrees every few minutes, this ensures even cooking over medium heat.
- If you don’t want to make the teriyaki sauce, you can always buy teriyaki sauce instead (1 tbsp. per piece of pork will work).
- To make this meal a little healthier, try making the teriyaki sauce without adding any sugar (just use regular soy sauce instead).
- Don’t make the teriyaki sauce too far in advance, as it doesn’t keep long and can go bad.
- Always use fresh pineapple when making the teriyaki sauce. Otherwise, get canned pineapples and use them in your sauce.
- If you want to cut down on sugar, don’t add any sugar at all in the teriyaki chicken or pork.
- You can use an egg instead of bacon for the poached eggs.
- The marinade will be too salty if you use a lot of soy sauce. You can always add less and make it more balanced in flavor.
- This dish is also good with chicken or pork tenderloin (chops for teriyaki).
- The pineapple slices can be used to grill the pork instead of using the teriyaki sauce.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley to add a little color to your dish.
- It’s best not to skip out on any steps of this recipe when cooking, as it will affect the end dish. For example, marinating for too long can make the protein too salty and the sugar can burn to overheat.
- Make sure you use fresh fruit and pineapple for each meal.
- If you have kids, make the sauce without sugar. It’s not recommended for young children to consume too much sugar and it will only make them crave more.
- Make sure to pour the teriyaki sauce over the pork quickly, as it can burn if left on too long. You can always remove the pineapple slices and add them back in for decoration after cooking.
- This recipe can also be made with lean ground beef or turkey.
- If you don’t want to use an entire pineapple, try 1/2 tablespoon of pineapple for a bigger sauce or 1/4 tablespoon in the teriyaki sauce.
- Use a bamboo steamer to steam your rice instead of using a pot to boil. This will make it easier to control the water and make sure the rice is not soggy.
- Boil the rice for 5-7 minutes. This will make it easier to chew without making it too soft.
Enjoy teriyaki grilled pork chops
This is one of the best recipes that I have tried as it’s pretty simple and tastes great! Teriyaki grilled pork chops are a quick and easy dinner idea that tastes amazing. The beauty of this recipe is you can make it with any type of meat. Also, teriyaki sauce, sesame seeds, onion wedges, ginger root (grated), garlic (minced), rice vinegar, brown sugar, salt, and pepper are ingredients that are in just about every pantry.