Chilaquiles burrito is a traditional Mexican dish consisting of fried tortilla strips, tomato sauce, potatoes, and cheese with scrambled eggs. This dish was created as a way to use excess tortillas that are leftover from making tamales. It is often served for breakfast or as a quick lunch in Mexico. Americans usually enjoy this dish for breakfast or brunch rather than lunch or dinner.
Chilaquiles burrito is a traditional Mexican cake
- 1 Ingredients for chilaquiles burrito
- 2 Directions for chilaquiles burrito
- 3 Cooking notes for chilaquiles burrito
- 4 Some questions about chilaquiles burrito
- 4.1 What is the nutritional value of one tortilla serving of chilaquiles burrito?
- 4.2 Can you use as many tortillas as you want to make this dish?
- 4.3 Do you need to warm the eggs up in a separate pan before scrambling them?
- 4.4 How long will this dish last if you do not refrigerate it?
- 4.5 What types of peppers are used in this dish?
- 4.6 Why should you use fried tortillas instead of soft ones?
Ingredients for chilaquiles burrito
- One medium-sized package of tortillas.
- 1 can of black beans.
- The diced tomatoes should have green chilies in them.
- The oil should be 3 tablespoons.
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Salt to taste.
- 1 or 2 cups (depending on size) shredded Monterey Jack cheese. (Optional).
Ingredients for chilaquiles burrito
Directions for chilaquiles burrito
- Place a large frying pan on medium heat for five minutes so it can get fully heated. Fry the tortillas in the vegetable oil until they are crispy and golden brown (about 3 minutes). Turn them over to cook all sides evenly. Do not use any oil if you want to maintain a more traditional flavor of this dish.
- While the tortillas are frying, heat the cooked black beans and diced tomatoes with green chilies in a separate frying pan for about 10 minutes on low heat (until hot).
- Pour both of these ingredients into the large pan once both are heated.
- Add 3 tablespoons of oil to your bowl and add in the garlic. Let fry for three minutes until the garlic is fragrant but not browned yet.
- Once your tortillas have been fried, add them to your bowl with other ingredients and mix lightly until combined.
- If salt is needed, add it.
- Chilaquiles burrito is a traditional Mexican dish made with many components that taste quite good on their own. These components include cooked black beans, diced tomatoes, scrambled eggs, shredded cheese and fried tortillas that are then mixed into a flavorful sauce that has a nice amount of heat from the peppers in the tomatoes. Many cooks use both green and red chilies to create the different flavors in this dish but I prefer to use only red chilies because I find they bring out more of the flavors I like in this dish.
Add salt to the dish if needed
Maybe you don’t know: How to make chilaquiles with chips recipes
Cooking notes for chilaquiles burrito
- While the black beans are heating up, fried tortillas and diced tomatoes with green chiles, heat up a large frying pan to fry your tortillas. You can do this in oil or you can also skip the oil and instead use a small amount of water to soften the tortilla as it cooks in the pan.
- Give both your salsa and tomatoes time to heat through; this will ensure they are fully heated so that you do not end up with cold spots in your dish.
- If you do not have time to cut up fresh garlic, feel free to use garlic powder or even minced garlic from a jar instead.
- If your tortillas are stiff when you take them out of the package, you can soften them in hot water for about 5 minutes before frying.
- Do not use too much oil when frying your tortillas. A small amount of vegetable oil will keep the tortillas from sticking to the pan without making them too oily to eat.
- Serve with scrambled eggs and chorizo if desired.
Some questions about chilaquiles burrito
What is the nutritional value of one tortilla serving of chilaquiles burrito?
1 medium-sized serving contains approximately:
- 400 calories.
- 7 g fat (of which 3g are saturated).
- The carbs are 4g, the fiber is 1g, and the sugar is 3g.
- 13 mg sodium.
Can you use as many tortillas as you want to make this dish?
You can use so many tortillas as you want to make this dish; I prefer to use about three medium-sized flour tortillas. These tortillas should be cooked in vegetable oil or they will be too oily and not very tasty without oil.
You can use cornbread for Chilaquiles burrito
Do you need to warm the eggs up in a separate pan before scrambling them?
No, scrambled eggs are more of an egg dish than a breakfast dish. You can scramble the eggs with everything else as soon as the tomatoes are heated through and can be served immediately.
How long will this dish last if you do not refrigerate it?
This dish is kept for over a week in my refrigerator without refrigerating but could also be frozen for up to 3 weeks if you are just going to have one serving at a time.
What types of peppers are used in this dish?
The type of bell pepper is not specified in this dish, but if you use a fresh pepper you want to avoid a green pepper or a yellow one because they do not work well with the flavor of the dish. You should also avoid using any type of pepper that tastes sweet or hot. Instead, try to use a very spicy red chili pepper because it will taste better with your dish.
Why should you use fried tortillas instead of soft ones?
Fried tortillas are what make a traditional chilaquiles dish. By using fried tortillas, you are also adding a lot of flavor to the dish by using oil. The best way to make this dish is to fry your tortillas in vegetable oil because it adds more flavor and nutrients than any other type of oil.
You need to use fried cake for a chilaquiles burrito
Chilaquiles burrito is a traditional Mexican dish that is served for breakfast or brunch in Mexico. The term chilaquiles actually refers to the tortilla chips that are fried before they are mixed into the combination of other ingredients to create this dish. Chilaquiles can be eaten with scrambled eggs, shredded cheese, and chorizo for a hearty traditional Mexican breakfast or brunch dish. You can also enjoy these burritos with salsa to taste as well.